It can be as obvious as a Texas twang or a Dallas Cowboys ball cap or more subtle like a mere hint of Southern charm, but you can always spot someone from Dallas – Fort Worth. No matter how far away from the Lone Star State we may roam, we just stand out, and to us that’s always a good thing! Here’s the clues:
1. We're a true-blue Dallas Cowboys fan, and aren't afraid to wear the blue star wherever we travel.
We're also die-hard fans of the Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, and of course, our Arlington-based Texas Rangers.
2. We are always weather wary due to the powerful and sometimes deadly cells that come through our area.
Expect us to obsess about lightning storms and tornado watches. We have experienced many sleepless nights due to thunder talk and power outtages, or worse, tornadoes that wreak havoc.
3. We will get over-excited about ANY amount of snow fall.
A few snowflakes? That is SO COOL! That's because in Texas, this winter rarity is cause for great celebration!
4. No burger will ever compare to Whataburger--a true Texas treasure!
When back in Texas, a visit to Whataburger is one of the first stops we will make.
5. We order sweet tea, and are incredulous if it isn't an option.
Who has the audacity to drink unsweetened tea? Isn't that against the law or something?
6. We can't help it: "y'all" is part of our daily language.
"You guys" will never be uttered from the mouth of a true Dallasite - Fort Worthian.
7. Your barbecue may be okay, but it will never compare to ours.
You won't win this war, so take us to another food place instead.
8. When eating steak, it's always a Texas T-bone, usually with Texas toast and wedge-cut fries. Mushrooms are optional.
You can keep your other cuts of steak.. .no disrespect meant!
9. There's only one true corny dog (not "corn dog") and one Big Tex.
A state fair anywhere else isn't worth the ticket. Hands-down, Dallas' State Fair of Texas, complete with a Fletcher's corny dog and a greeting by our 55-foot mascot, is the one we will talk about.
10. Cowboy boots can go with about any outfit, for any occasion, and in any season.
Whether you're a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader or not, it's always okay to wear boots and short shorts.
11. We definitely wear plaid, whether it's the current hot trend or not.
Plaid, especially tucked into nicely worn jeans and perhaps some cowboy boots, is always a good choice.
12. We will brag about our incredible sunsets and how there's no better place on earth to watch them.
Seriously, how could you possibly disagree?
13. We seek out trendy, artsy, music-focused, and definitely
not mainstream areas, like our beloved Deep Ellum area in Texas.
We love certain vibes, homey ambiance, and an edginess you'll find in all true Texans.
14. We'll play in the water fountains.
What do you mean you aren't supposed to get your feet wet?
15. We really like romance, and aren't afraid to show our Southern manners.
Yes, we know it's 2017, and things change... but we still treasure the art of a sweet courtship.
16. We really know how to strike a pose.
Dallas-Fort Worth includes exciting fashion and arts districts, and our fashion-forward residents aren't afraid to express themselves!
17. We love our taquerias.
We'll be mighty disappointed if we ask for tacos when visiting another city. Don't even try to take us to Taco Bell.
18. We drink "coke"... and it's a Dr. Pepper.
"Pop" is our granddad, not a drink, and "soda" is something we just don't say. Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco, Texas, so it's only natural that it's our favorite.
What other ways do we proudly announce our Dallas – Fort Worth roots? We’d love to hear your thoughts below!