Dallas - Fort Worth September 19, 2017
15 Undying Habits That Prove You Can Never Take the Metroplex Out Of Dallas – Fort Worth Locals
Admittedly, most of us aren’t cowboys and many have roamed far away from the Lone Star State at some point in our lives. That said, there are several Dallas – Fort Worth traits that stay with us regardless of where we hang our hat. Here are 15 habits that prove that while you can take us out of the Metroplex, you can never take these Texas qualities out of a Dallasite -Fort Worthian.
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. We refer to distance in hours, not miles.
It can take about 12 hours to get across our massive state, regardless of whether you head east to west or north to south. It takes about five hours for us to get to Houston from Dallas. We don't know and don't care how many miles it is.
2. We drive everywhere.
Most of us don't like to carpool either, but sometimes do so out of necessity to access the HOV lanes.
3. We put salsa on almost everything (and Ranch dressing on the rest).
Whether it's chips, fries, eggs, tortillas, veggies - you name it - one of those sauces goes along with it... sometimes both.
4. We like everything to be in the shape of Texas.
We have Texas hamburger patties...
And of course, Texas décor!
5. We also really like our Lone Star flag (and put it on everything).
6. But a lone star doesn't just mean Texas. This star means America's football team... the Dallas Cowboys!
7. We are obsessed about the weather.
We don't bring up the topic for entertainment value. Often, it's out of necessity. We often experience all four seasons of weather in a single day. North Texas has a fierce tornado season!
And spectacular lightning storms.
We get golf ball, baseball, and softball sized hail. Don't bother showing us your puny pea-gravel stuff!
Dallas - Fort Worth typically doesn't get snow, but we do get ice storms instead, which leave us trapped due to lack of equipment until it melts. Most Texans don't even keep an ice scraper in their car! This photo at Veterans Park in Arlington shows how much ice we can get!
8. We spend years perfecting our backyard grilling skills. Our specialty? Anything meat, of course.
9. When we ask for a coke, we typically don't mean a Coca-Cola.
Any waitstaff in the know asks what type of coke we want. Usually, the answer is our beloved Dr. Pepper, which was concocted in the 1880s in Waco.
10. We may or may not relate to our Texas heritage, but we are all dang sure proud of it.
Even our urbanites respect our Western roots in Dallas - Fort Worth.
11. Words like "howdy" and "y'all" are part of our permanent vocabulary.
We can't help it. We were simply born that way. It's a part of our natural vocabulary.
12. We genuinely mean it when we roll out our Texas hospitality.
We will do everything possible to show visitors true Southern hospitality and a good time.
13. Love us, love our fur-baby.
Our pets are an important part of our family. Of course they sleep on our bed!
14. We are addicted to Beaver Nuggets.
If you don't know what they are, well... you aren't from Texas, are you?
Our Texas-only Buc-ee's convenience stores are larger than most grocery stores. They sell nuggets... and too many specialty items to even
attempt to list!
People spend hours in Buc-ee's stores. Their selections, fresh food, merchandise and, of course, all-things Texas are too enticing to pass up.
15. We will always obsess about Texas sunsets.
We'll swear that there is no better sunset anywhere in the country. Be still our beating heart!
How many of these totally Texas things do you do? Let us know in the comments!