Austin October 28, 2016
10 Extremely Weird Things Only People From Austin Do
“Keep Austin Weird” slogans spatter themselves all over T-shirts and bumper stickers, but it’s not just a catchy marketing ploy. Austinites have many strange quirks, and they don’t ever want to hide them. These are ten extremely weird things only people from Austin do. Do you do any of these things?
1. Buy movie tickets a week in advance
At the Alamo Drafthouse, sometimes a two-week window is necessary for getting a good seat.
2. Put hot sauce on EVERYTHING
We really do love this stuff.
3. Celebrate Eeyore's Birthday
We don't want our favorite fictional children's book character to be sad, so we throw him a party in Pease Park every April.
4. Bundle up the minute the temperatures drop below 70 degrees.
68 degrees is perfect sweater weather!
5. Host cacophonous drum circles regularly.
You can hear them from a mile away.
6. Wait for hours just to see the bats
To some, seeing the cloud of bats over Lady Bird Lake is worth a two-hour wait.
7. Decorate our homes in eccentric ways
The Cathedral of Junk has ornately decorated windows and doors... made entirely out of garbage.
8. Eat food from a trailer park
It's better than any four star restaurant!
9. Howl at the moon
Every full moon, Barton Springs Pool becomes a celebration of Mother Earth. You'll hear howls from all across Zilker park.
10. Spend hours painting a beautiful mural that will only last one day.
There's a quick turnover rate at the HOPE Outdoor Gallery. Fresh murals often get painted over within hours, but for most artists, it's worth the risk.
Austinites are a quirky bunch, and they’re proud of it. You don’t want to rub anyone from Austin the wrong way, though. Here are
15 sure-fire ways to make an Austinite mad.