Austin November 27, 2017
10 Foolproof Ways To Spot An Imposter In Austin
People flock to Austin by the hundreds, and it’s easy to separate the locals from the newcomers. In a city that boasts about its unique pulse and rhythm, locals have a vibrant way of life. It can sometime take the newbies a while to get up to speed. These are 10 foolproof ways to spot an imposter in Austin.
1. They're sporting maroon as they walk down Guadalupe
Everyone knows that the rivalry between The Longhorns and The Aggies run fierce, so it's pretty clear that those maroon-wearing pedestrians won't be saying "Hook 'em!"
2. You'll hear them say things like "Man-cha-cha" road
In Austin, you can't assume that words are pronounced the way they're spelled. "Manchaca" sounds like "Man-chack," "Manor" like "MAY-nor," and Guadalupe like "Guad-a-loop."
3. They'll complain about the music on the Red River District and search for an '80s cover band
After all, they call this the Live Music Capital, not the Cover Band Capital.
4. They don't plan ahead.
They're the ones who look panicked and stressed out while they're caught in a downtown gridlock during SXSW. In Austin, it's almost always necessary to look up the road closures before leaving the house.
5. They don't know anything beyond Zilker Park and Barton Springs Pool
The lush greenbelt is a mystery to them, and they've never ventured past Dirty Sixth Street.
6. They're constantly comparing Austin to Portland and San Francisco.
Austin has its own unique pulse and vibrancy. You can't say it's like any other city in America.
7. They've never heard of Liberty Lunch, Flipnotics, or The Armadillo World Headquarters
Whenever Austinites lovingly look back on days gone by, out-of-towners will greet them with blank stares and confused faces.
8. They call Town Lake "Lady Bird Lake" and Auditorium Shores "Vic Mathias Shores"
Real Austinites know these landmarks by their original names. You'll never spend a day at Lady Bird Lake, but you'll definitely kayak on Town Lake. None of the locals call Vic Mathias Shores by it's official name. To us, it will always be Auditorium Shores.
9. They call our street art "ugly."
Nothing will get a local's blood boiling like hearing someone complain about the unique aspects of their city, and street art is no exception.
10. They don't know how to two-step
If you see someone stumbling as they two-step, be a good local and teach them how it's done!
How do you spot an imposter in Austin?