Austin December 20, 2017
9 Weird Side Effects Everyone Experiences From Growing Up In Austin
Native Austinites are as rare as unicorns, and they have their unique set of quirks. If you’re lucky enough to call yourself a local, then you’ll undoubtedly relate to these strange habits. These are nine weird side effects that everyone experiences from growing up in Austin.
1. There's an ever-present feeling of nostalgia
When you live in a city that changes so rapidly, it's easy to look fondly on days gone by. You'll often hear native Austinites sigh longingly and say things like "Do you remember when?"
2. Always calling landmarks by their old names
Lady Bird Lake will forever be known as Town Lake to Austin natives. Some habits never go away.
3. Always forgetting where the new Antone's is located these days
Antone's Nightclub began its legacy on Sixth Street in the '70s. After moving to different locations throughout the city, The Home of the Blues now makes its home on East Fifth Street. You're guaranteed to hear amazing musicians every time walk through the door.
4. Keeping a swimsuit nearby no matter what the season
You never know when a spontaneous poolside dip will take place, so you best be ready. It could be November or June. The sun is almost always shining in Austin, Texas!
5. You’ve been to the Texas State Capital dozens of times and can name the six flags of Texas without hesitation.
As a youngster in Austin, you'll spend much of your formative years learning about Texas' fascinating and rich history. Chances are, you went to The Texas State Capitol once for a school-mandated field trip, again to take homecoming photos, and a third time to celebrate high school graduation,
6. You're ready to whip up some delicious Tex Mex appetizers at the drop of a hat.
In addition to learning about the Battle of the Alamo, all young Austinites learn how to make delicious party food. Whether it's a creamy queso dip or jalapeno fritters, chances are that you have all of the ingredients in the refrigerator already.
7. You have a deeply rooted appreciation for local businesses.
You'll hardly ever see a local Austinite shopping at the national chain stores. The people of Austin, Texas know that these local businesses keep the city's economy thriving.
8. You know all of Austin's super secret backroads and won't share your routes with anybody.
Locals will boast of taking "the hippie highway" when rush hour hits, but they'll never share that route with an out-of-towner. Austin natives will defend that secret to the death.
9. You can name any Willie Nelson song within the first two chords and you can pick out a Stevie Ray Vaughan guitar riff from anywhere.
Music is our pride and joy, and legends like Willie and Stevie Ray Vaughan have been the soundtrack to Austinites' lives for decades.
Longing for some lovely nostalgia? These are
nine things you can’t do in Austin anymore, but wish you could.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.