Austin January 03, 2018
12 Reasons Why Austin Is The Most Unique City In America
Austin sparkles with fascinating festivals, irresistible eats, and gorgeous scenery. From the whimsical street art to the picturesque parks, there’s really something for everyone in Texas’ capital city. These are 12 reasons why Austin is the most unique city in America.
1. There's a Cathedral of Junk that will take your breath away.
This quirky home is like none other. The aptly named Cathedral of Junk is made entirely out of found objects, and the overall result is simply stunning.
2. Austin is home to the largest graffiti park in North America.
Pick up a can of spray paint and leave your mark! The HOPE Outdoor Gallery sees everything from fine works of art to simple doodles, but nothing stays for long.
3. Austinites have a passionate love affair with food.
The Salt Lick Barbecue is just one of the many places to find fall-off-the-bone ribs and mouthwatering brisket.
4. And locals have an unrivaled obsession with tacos
Austinites will eat tacos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
5. You'll find delicious eats in the most unlikely of places.
In Austin, food trucks reign supreme. You'll find dozens of these trailers parked in lots across the city, and they'll serve everything from chicken Tikka Masala to fresh Maine lobster rolls.
6. Playing chicken poop bingo is a popular way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Place your bet and cross your fingers that the over-fed chicken poops on the right number! Who knows? You could walk away with a nice chunk of change at the end of the afternoon. Pop by The Little Longhorn Saloon or C-Boys Heart and Soul for some supremely silly fun and games.
7. Austin is home to wild festivals and groundbreaking innovation
When South By Southwest sweeps through the city every March, Austin transforms into an entirely different place. Music fills every nook and cranny, and new technological advances dazzle onlookers. You never know what new invention will spring forth from this iconic annual festival.
8. Austin's always read to rev up the momentum.
Austinites love the smell of burning rubber, and The Circuit of The Americas racetrack definitely delivers the excitement. Home to the F1 United States Grand Prix and the Moto GP Race, this thrilling track brings another wave of adrenaline to the city.
9. One and a half million bats live under The South Congress bridge, and they put on a show.
Every spring evening at sunset, 1.5 million bats fly out from under the South Congress bridge to feast on the city's pesky mosquitos. The result is so spectacular that you can even see the cloud of bats from weather radars.
10. Eeyore's Birthday party livens up Austin's oldest park every April
Remember Eeyore, the sad little donkey from Winnie The Pooh? This classic children's book character was always losing his tail, so the city of Austin decided to cheer him up with an annual birthday party. Complete with drum circles, acrobats, and colorful costumes, this springtime festival would put a smile on anyone's face.
11. There's a pun-off that both silly and wildly competitive.
The O. Henry Pun-Off takes place every year at The O. Henry Museum in downtown Austin. This competition features some of Austin's most witty wordsmiths and pits them against each other. Whoever can spit out the most puns over the day is crowned the winner!
12. There's always a calm river or greenbelt to escape to.
Whether you're hiking along Lady Bird Lake or exploring The Barton Creek Greenbelt, beauty is everywhere. The combination of food, festivals, and nature makes Austin the most unique city in America.
What are you favorite things about Austin, Texas?