Tennessee March 24, 2016
Tennessee Is Number One At All Of These Things
Here’s the thing – WE believe we’re number one at pretty much everything. We’re solid when it comes to people, places and things, but sometimes it takes a little nudge and a bit of research to uncover what the rest of the world thinks we rock out to. Curious where Tennessee ranks in this big ol’ world? We have 15 facts that are sure to blow your mind.
15. Be jealous of Chattanooga.
Their internet runs 50 times faster than anywhere else in the US, making it the quickest city to the world wide web in the nation.
14. Care to take a dip - underground?
Not that you really can (seriously, don't do it). It's the largest underground lake in the nation, though.
13. Curious about your mini golf obsession?
You owe Tennessee for this one - the first patented mini golf course was located in Tennessee. Patented is the key word, folks.
12. Freshwater aquarium? Check.
Once the largest in the world, Chattanooga still holds a top spot as one of the biggest in the US.
11. Hippes, anyone?
Founded in 1971, the Summertown commune is now the largest and oldest still running in the US.
10. Ober Gatlinburg knows what's up - literally.
The world's largest artificial snow surface, at 5 acres, is at Ober Gatlinburg.
9. Oh. You know this one.
The Grand Ole Opry is the longest running radio show - ever. The United States would be a different place without it.
8. Our secession history is quite interesting.
We were the last to secede, and the first to re-enter the union after the war.
7. Shelby County loves their horses.
There are more horses per capita in Shelby County than absolutely ANYWHERE else in the US.
6. The Great Smoky Mountains is the most visited national park.
Because, duh. Just look at that picture. Then visit it.
5. We are the home of America's bestselling whiskey.
If we had to tell you Jack Daniel's, you have a problem.
4. We aren't call the Volunteer State for nothing.
We're #1 when it comes to the amount of soldiers from Tennessee that fought in the war between the states.
3. We were the first to give you the combination candy bar.
You can thank us for Kit-Kats and Snickers - we started that trend.
2. We're friendly folks.
We're tied with Missouri with eight state neighbors - making us solidly numero uno as the most neighborly (including Missouri. We didn't forget you!).
1. You can thank Tennessee for your favorite fair treat.
Born in Tennessee - funding your cavities since 1897.
Anything we missed? Let us know in the comments below!