Tennessee February 22, 2017
11 Things Tennesseans Do That Seem Insane To Everyone Else
This is one of the best states in the nation, but there are a few things that truly set Tennesseans apart from the rest. We’re a state of folks who truly love where we’re from, a place that is proud of its heritage and its present. We’ve heard, however, that some people think we’re just a little bit crazy…so we thought we’d lay those strange thoughts to rest. Curious?
11. We believe there's only one whiskey that counts.
Jack Daniel's to the grave, folks. There's nothin' else you need.
10. Of course we believe that summer doesn't start until there's a lighting bug sighting!
They herald in the new, heated season. It's one of the sweetest parts of living in the south.
9. We serve our meals with three sides.
We think it's perfectly normal to fill your plates with all sorts of delicious, but some folks aren't fans of macaroni and cheese and collard greens and fried chicken. We think THEY are insane.
8. We cheer for our favorite teams…no matter their record.
Yay Preds! Yay Titans! Go Vols! We're a dedicated folk...and that's a good way to be.
7. We make a MEAN piece of hot chicken.
Some folks question why we add the cayenne pepper, but it's what makes fried chicken a bit different in the Volunteer State. Try it, and you'll be our newest convert!
6. The front porch is pretty much the same as the living room.
No matter the humidity, we'll sip and rock on the front porch 'til the cows come home. Literally. Because there are quite of few of us that own cows.
5. We fear the "Yankee with a U-Haul"
Transplants have become the norm (guilty!) down here in Tennessee, and sometimes they change things for the better - sometimes not so much. The fear is solid and real.
4. Chocolate gravy on a biscuit sounds pretty dang appetizing.
Biscuits and gravy are a staple, and we can go with the sweet or savory version. Bread and chocolate?! What else is there in life?
3. We're the kindest drivers in the nation.
We're guided by our hearts, not street signs. We'd rather smile and wave than honk, and many of us will stop to help if you're in trouble.
2. BUT we don't drive in the snow.
That's not crazy, it's just smart. We know our limits. There are a handful of Tennesseans that OWN during inclement weather, but a majority of us would rather stay home with our water bottles and bread.
1. We don't know what unsweetened tea is.
And we don't want to know. Sweet tea is a southern staple!
PS: Did you know
this tiny Tennessee town could be the next cornbread capitol of the world?