South Dakota History January 24, 2019
by Annie The 9 Weirdest And Strangest Things That Have Ever Happened In South Dakota
SoDak has one of the richest and most colorful histories of any of the 50 states, but we have had some instances that have been strange and downright weird. Take, for example, these 9 things that have happened in South Dakota that are hard to explain:
1. We have more natives who have gone on to host television shows than any other state.
I'm not sure if this is weird or awesome (or if we really do have more natives who are television hosts than any other state... it just seems like it, right?!), but we have turned out the legendary Bob Barker (pictured), Tom Brokaw, Pat O'Brien, AND Mary Hart!
2. South Dakota made mashed potato wrestling a thing.
Why, you ask? It is to pay homage to our favorite carb, of course! Taking place each year in Clark (whose main crop is the potato), the starch-honoring Potato Days boasts potato decorating contests, recipe competitions, and yes -- mashed potato wrestling.
3. The world's fastest temperature change took place in 1943 in Spearfish.
Thanks to a rare Chinook wind, temperatures rose from a frigid -4 degrees to a comfortable 45 degrees in less than 2 minutes, which is a rare occurrence that has not happened since. Once the Chinook winds died, so did the temperature, which dropped from 54 degrees to -4 in 30 minutes, resulting in countless broken windows.
4. Speaking of world records, the world's most extensive Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton ever was found in SoDak and resulted in chaos.
How could such an amazing discovery cause so much controversy? It came down to who really owned the fossils, as the explorer and fossil collector, land owner, and even government butted heads in court. In the end, the land owner was named the rightful owner, and Sue was auctioned off to the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.
5. Actual laws were made throughout the state that forbade pants-less horses in certain establishments...
However, if your horse dons tasteful trousers, bring 'em on in!
6. ...hunting raptors...
I'm assuming we are talking about the dinosaur and not the bird, right?
7. ...and hanging signs that say "casino" inside of casinos.
8. We built our most epic concert venue out of corn.
Not only is it the most epic concert venue in SoDak, but it is the ONLY corn palace in the world.
9. South Dakotans named the European honey bee our official state insect.
What else would we choose? A generic ladybug? (Sorry, not sorry, NoDak...)
For more weird South Dakota fun, check out
These 8 Crazy Laws in South Dakota Will Leave You Scratching Your Head In Wonder.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.