South Dakota February 24, 2016
9 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About The State Of South Dakota
Most people know South Dakota as “the state with Mount Rushmore.” But true South Dakotans know that our wonderful state has endless surprises and secrets to offer. You’re about to find out just how well you know the state of South Dakota.
1. Of all 50 states, South Dakota ranks number 12 in restaurants per capita.
South Dakota has an impressive .275 restaurants for every 100 people. While a lot of these are chain restaurants, recent years have brought success for small local restaurants.
2. Lincoln County has been named one of the 10 fastest growing counties in the US.
Lincoln county includes part of Sioux Falls, Harrisburg, and Canton, among other small towns and rural areas. The area has experienced booming growth since 2000.
3. Our GDP is comparable to that of the entire country of Tanzania.
Shocking as it may be, South Dakota's GDP is equivalent to that of a country with a population of over 51 million.
4. We own as much fire power as the country of Taiwan.
Located off the coast of China, this island is roughly the size of the state of Massachusetts.
5. South Dakota has the same population as Djibouti.
A tiny country located next to Ethiopia, Djibouti boasts the same population as South Dakota.
6. Every year, a Mashed Potato Wrestling event takes place in Clark, SD.
For the 24th year in a row, Clark hosted their annual Potato Day in 2015. Besides Mashed Potato Wrestling there is also a potato decorating contest and a potato cooking contest!
7. Back in the day, Sioux Falls was known as the Divorce Capital of the United States.
At a time when most states would grant divorces only after a full year of residency, South Dakota's rules were not so strict. Between 1889 and 1909, there were more than 6,000 divorces granted in the state.
8. The Geographic Center of the United States is located near Belle Fourche, SD.
Though the Geographic Center of the US has changed over time as new states were added, the current location is near Belle Fourche. You can drive out to the location itself or visit the monument that honors it in the town of Belle Fourche.
9. South Dakota boasts more miles of shoreline than the entire state of Florida.
Between the Missouri River and all of our stunning lakes, South Dakota has plenty of shoreline to offer for all your summer adventure and getaway needs!
These shocking facts have got us stunned. How many of these surprising facts about the state of South Dakota did you already know about? Which one surprised you the most?