South Dakota September 08, 2018
11 Privileges South Dakotans Have That The Rest Of The U.S. Doesn’t
If you hail from the great state of South Dakota, you know that we have certain privileges that the rest of the country doesn’t get to experience. Need more proof and/or certain examples? (You probably don’t, but for the sake of this article, just humor me by nodding along.) Read on:
1. The Mount Rushmore State was just named the
Best State for Retirement by Bankrate.
While this comes as no surprise to us natives, we were still curious as to Bankrate's reasoning, which is that of lower taxes and cost of living, and a strong sense of community.
2. Not retirement age? Not a problem, as South Dakota has tons of employment opportunities, too!
Fun Fact: In July 2018, South Dakota's unemployment rate sat at 3.1%, which is 0.8 percentage points lower than the national average!
3. Midwest living = nicer folks.
Has anyone else noticed that midwesterners are some of the nicest people in the country? Yeah, they are our neighbors and make life all-the-more enjoyable!
4. South Dakota has some of the best German food outside of... well, Germany!
Kuchen, kolaches, and bierocks... the gang is all here in SoDak (and super delicious, as they are all recipes passed down from our German ancestors)!
5. Okay, it's not just German food, but our food in general that is delicious.
How could we not mention our beloved non-German dishes, like killer chislic, Indian tacos, and locally grown meat and fish?
6. South Dakotans get to wake up to this...
The best part of waking up isn't the generic coffee in your cup; it's picturesque sunrises like this!
7. ...and end the day with that.
This is not a watercolor painting, folks!
8. Do you think your backyard is landscaped well? Check out ours!
Can you imagine not getting to see such pristine landscapes as the Black Hills, Wind Cave, and Custer National Park every day? Neither can I.
9. We will never run out of things to see or do.
What's an article about South Dakota without giving a nod to George, Tom, Ted, and Abe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10. Our temperatures are comfortable year round.*
*except winter... but you will get used to it!
11. Last but not least, even our South Dakota storms are jaw-droppingly beautiful!
How are we supposed to seek shelter when the skies look this amazing?!
For even more SoDak fun, click on
14 Ways Living in South Dakota Ruins You For Life.