South Dakota April 19, 2016
10 Things You Have To Do Before You’re An Official South Dakotan
Whether you’ve lived in South Dakota your whole life or you’ve recently moved here – just living in the state doesn’t mean you’re legit. To be an official South Dakotan, there are a few things you absolutely must do. We’ve created the definitive list for you here.
1. Visit Mount Rushmore.
This one is a given. Mount Rushmore is a National Memorial as well as our state's most well known asset.
2. Survive a long, cold South Dakota winter.
Survive winter, if you can.
3. Have a bonfire in every season.
Because once you've survived winter, you may actually learn to enjoy it.
4. Visit at least four of our South Dakota State Parks.
Our state is full of beautiful parks brimming with adventure. Make a point to visit as many as possible.
5. Shovel snow.
If you're living through a South Dakota winter, you won't make it unless you work hard and shovel that snow.
6. Buy sweet corn from a stranger in a random parking lot.
Chances are, you may end up knowing someone that stranger knows and becoming friends. Of course, the sweet corn will be the best you've ever eaten.
7. Get stuck in traffic behind a tractor.
Because there really isn't any other kind of traffic in South Dakota.
8. Go to the South Dakota State Fair.
And definitely eat a funnel cake.
9. Be professional at avoiding deer and other wildlife in the road.
Seeing one deer on the road means there are more near by. Official South Dakotans are pros at spotting them while driving.
10. Learn to love ranch dressing.
True South Dakotans know that ranch is good on nearly anything. Chicken, pizza, salads - you name it.
Now that you’ve seen the list, how do you measure up? Are you an official South Dakotan?