South Dakota August 21, 2018
9 Of The Most Frustrating Moments Every South Dakotan Has Experienced At Least Once
Living in the Mount Rushmore state is something to be proud of, and South Dakotans are well aware of it. However, there are a few things that get under our skin. These nine moments are the epitome of frustration for any South Dakotan, and if you’re a true South Dakotan, you’ve felt these frustrations at least once.
1. When bison crossing makes you late.
We’re used to it, but it’s still frustrating. At least every other South Dakotan understands that bison crossing is a valid excuse.
2. When you travel anywhere outside of South Dakota and experience real traffic.
South Dakotans don’t understand what real traffic is, and when we’re stuck in it, it’s unreasonably infuriating.
3. Someone says there’s "nothing to do in South Dakota."
We might have a lot of open space, but South Dakota is anything but boring. With many national parks and outstanding trails, there’s always room for adventure. Don’t be mistaken, our whole state is bursting with activities.
4. You hear someone mispronounce our state capitol.
Pierre, South Dakota is not French. It’s "Peer"!
5. Someone won't stop the East/West river debate.
Here in South Dakota, what side of the river you live on truly matters. "East river" is often stereotyped as big city folk, while "west side" are often claimed as nature-loving country folk. No matter what side you’re on, it’s "the wrong side" to the other. There’s no winning, and sometimes it gets old.
6. When someone assumes you live on a farm.
Newsflash: South Dakota has cities, too.
7. When someone drives extra slow on a country road.
South Dakotans have many years of experience of driving on open roads, so we’re a little impatient with rookies.
8. When you go somewhere else and have to pay taxes.
Why does income tax exist anywhere?!
9. Someone thinks you live in North Dakota.
Don’t get them confused. We might have similar names, but the two states are completely different.
Have you experienced any of these frustrating moments? South Dakotans, what are some of your other pet peeves? List them in the comments!
If you relate to this list, you probably
define these 11 words a little differently.