South Dakota February 12, 2019
The 11 Biggest Secrets That Only True South Dakotans Know
When you hail from the great state of South Dakota, you were born to know certain things to be true and that there are special things/places that only a handful of people are lucky enough to know. While there are hundreds of these things we could mention, we will just stick with these 11 secrets that only true South Dakotans know to be true:
1. There are other things in South Dakota besides Mount Rushmore.
Sure, Mount Rushmore is great, but did you know that we also have several caves, national parks, stellar food, and epic shopping, to name a few? Actually, maybe we shouldn't spread the word about this... then we can keep the tourists more contained!
2. You need not travel to Europe to enjoy tasty baked goods and pastries!
Listen: Our Oma (who immigrated here from Germany, by the way) taught us her recipe for kolache, kuchen, and different breads, which we in-turn share with our children and grandchildren, meaning we have a little piece of the old country right here in SoDak! Don't feel like baking it yourself? That's where bakeries like Sioux Falls' famous Queen City (pictured) come in, which serves some of the best pastries, desserts, and sandwiches you will ever taste!
3. South Dakota has some of the best outdoor recreation in the country.
Yeah, yeah, Colorado is great for fishing and camping, but have you ever sunk your sinker into the waters of the Angostura Recreation Area? And you call yourself an outdoorsmen...
4. You can travel the world without ever leaving the state.
From an actual chunk of the Berlin Wall to European-inspired churches to authentic Asian grocers, South Dakota allows you to travel the world without needing a passport.
5. Every state may claim they have them, but South Dakota truly has the best sunrises...
6. ...and sunsets.
It's tough to be here, isn't it?
7. Everyone has your back.
Do you know the term "Midwest nice"? I'm almost positive it was coined after a South Dakotan, for our natives will give you the shirt off our back and bring a casserole to anyone in need.
8. Winters in South Dakota may sound brutal, but they are actually quite beautiful.
It isn't just the winters, but every season here in South Dakota!
9. There is no such thing as traffic here in South Dakota.
...and we aren't mad about it! (Actually, we may get minimal traffic come summertime when bikers and vacationers are in town, but we've learned to deal... also, come harvest, we may get slowed down by a tractor or two.)
10. You don't have to go Oregon or Colorado to get good beer.
Did you know that South Dakota is home to dozens of stellar breweries? Do yourself a favor and try them all! (Pictured is A Homestead Brew in Valley Springs.)
11. Finally, South Dakota is the best state in the nation.
After reading all of the above, can you really disagree?!
For even more South Dakota fun, check out these
11 Life Lessons Everyone Learns Growing Up In South Dakota.