Walk Through 244,000 Acres Of Rock Formations At South Dakota's Badlands National Park
If you live in South Dakota, you have probably visited the Badlands more times than you can count, which means their significance may have worn off through the years. Agree? While this happens to natives and uneducated visitors alike, it is essential to know the history of this unique area, which includes a whopping 244,000 acres of historical rock formations. The size alone makes Badlands the best national park to visit in South Dakota. And there are certainly so many things to do at Badlands National Park!
What are some of the things to do at Badlands National Park do you enjoy? If you love hiking here, be sure to download the AllTrails+ app.
Take a few minutes to tell us about another historic national park to visit in South Dakota that you would like us to showcase. To learn more about the Badlands, check out these nine mistakes everyone makes when visiting South Dakota’s Badlands National Park.
More to Explore
National Park To Visit In South Dakota
What is there to do at Badlands National Park?
With 244,000 acres of rock formations, there is plenty to see and do at Badlands National Park. The following are some things to do at Badlands National Park:
- The park is open year-round making it the perfect place to explore regardless of the weather. If you enjoy watching a sunrise or sunset, then you must plan a visit to witness the incredible views from the park.
- If you’re a nature enthusiast, you’ll love hiking the many hiking trails to explore the incredible rock formations.
- There are numerous overlooks, and you can access a few of them by driving on Sage Creek Rim and the Badlands Loop Road.
- Along these roads, you can witness incredible landscapes as well as glimpse bison, bighorns, prairie dogs, and more wildlife that call the Badlands their home.
- Badlands is also a great place to stargaze at night, so be sure to bring the telescope or binoculars and find a spot to watch the starry skies.
- There are also visitor centers and a fossil lab that you must see for yourself.
- In addition to all these fun adventures, you can also camp, go horseback riding, cycle, and more inside the park.
Check out more about the Badlands and all it has to offer.
What are the best parks in South Dakota?
The state is also home to 63 state parks and recreation facilities. And these parks attract millions of visitors every year. The best parks in South Dakota include the following:
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- The Badlands
- Palisades State Park. Here you can enjoy camping, hiking, rock climbing, and more.
- You’ll be mesmerized by the stunning rock formations at Split Rock Creek, where the rocks are laced with pink Sioux Quartzite.
- Another incredible park is Custer State Park, often considered the gem of the South Dakota park system. This 71,000-acre park is one of the largest in the nation, and there are many things to explore there. Along with camping, hiking, and fishing, you can enjoy interpretive programs, rock climbing, and more.
Here are some more parks in South Dakota that are worth a visit.