If you’ve ever visited South Dakota, then you know that we are typically friendly and welcoming people. But even though we are good-natured and generally easy-going, there are a few things that just really grind our gears. When I say a few, I actually mean many. Here are 15 sure fire ways to make a South Dakotan mad.
1. Ask us what there is to do that is fun in South Dakota.
You know South Dakota is home to the Badlands National Park and Black Hills Forrest right? That leaves PLENTY of opportunities for adventure whether that means hiking, biking, rock climbing, cliff jumping, kayaking and more. But don’t be mistaken, the other side of the state has plenty to offer as well. Explore the opportunities around you, and will surely find a worthwhile adventure.
2. Ask if we still drive horse and buggy.
You’d be surprised how often South Dakotans are actually asked this. Yes, we drive regular cars and yes, we live in regular houses.
3. Make fun of us for elongating our vowels.
We don’t even realize we are doing this. It’s just the way we talk!
4. Tell us that South Dakota and North Dakota should just be considered one state.
Assuming that there is no distinction between two totally separate states will step on a lot of toes. Don’t get us wrong, most of us have nothing against our northern neighbor, but we do want to maintain our own identity.
5. Ask us if we have Wi-Fi here.
We can use the internet almost anywhere, just like you!
6. Ask us if we go cow tipping.
Not sure if anyone actually goes cow-tipping, but we definitely don’t do it in South Dakota. (Well, at least most of us.)
7. Drive extra slowly on a country road.
Many South Dakotans have had years of practice driving on country roads, so sometimes we get a little impatient when drivers choose a crawling speed.
8. Tell us that it must be awful to live in a state with such cold winters.
We do endure some bitter cold winters, but are also pros at bundling up. We can handle it, or else we wouldn’t choose to be here.
9. Assume that we all live on farms.
It’s true that farming is a way of life for many South Dakotans, but hey, that doesn’t mean that all of us grew up in farming families. A lot of us prefer city living and have a nine-to-five.
10. Ask us if “the faces” are here.
Oh, you mean MOUNT RUSHMORE? We get this way too often.
11. Steal our parking spot.
Eric Martin / Flickr
We know that this is probably a universal problem, but we just really, really hate it in South Dakota.
12. When people eat chislic, our regional delicacy, with ketchup.
Please, please no. You’re ruining it. Oh please, no.
13. When we hear that other states close their schools on account of snow.
You don't know how to drive in a little snow? How cute.
14. Mispronounce our state capital.
Let us repeat ourselves again: Pierre is not pronounced with a French accent.
15. Tell us that East/West River in South Dakota is better.
It’s true that these areas are two distinct regions, but if you mention that you favor East River over West River, or vice versa, be ready for backlash. (South Dakotans will vouch for their area of the state till they die.)