When it comes to just plain weird, there are some other states in the U.S. that definitely have South Carolina trumped, hands-down. But we have a few fun bizarre roadside attractions in South Carolina that can make you look twice or scratch your head. Take a look.
1. UFO Welcome Center - Bowman, SC
In spite of this beautiful and inviting welcome center, no aliens have been sighted in Bowman. Yet.
4004 Homestead Rd, Bowman, SC 29018
2. The giant gorilla at South of the Border
We couldn't find a height on this guy, but he looks to be at least four stories tall.
3346 U.S. 301, Hamer, SC 29547
3. The giant turkeys in downtown Edgefield
These giant turkeys in downtown Edgefield are all the rage.
Courthouse Square, Edgefield, SC 29824
4. Pearl Fryar's Topiary - Bishopville, SC
Unique, unusual and yes, bizarre
in a good way. Pearl Fryar's Topiary Garden is one of the best roadside attractions in the state. 145 Broad Acres Rd, Bishopville, SC 29010
5. Giant Fire Hydrant known as "Busted Plug" - Columbia, SC
The world's biggest fire hydrant is actually right here in South Carolina. Check out this huge sculpture by the artist Blue Sky.
1415 Taylor Street, Columbia, SC 29201
6. Peachoid, the giant water tower in Gaffney, SC
Entire carloads of folks driving on Interstate 85 who aren't familiar with the Peachoid are usually convinced this is a huge bum.
Peachoid Rd, Gaffney, SC 29341
7. The site of the B47 nuclear bomb that fell on SC in 1958 - Mars Bluff
An onboard incident caused the accidental release of a nuclear bomb that dropped onto Mars Bluff in 1958. Visit the site and see the crater.
More info and coordinates.
8. A giant teapot marks the entrance to J's Tearific Teapot Museum in Elloree, SC
VIDEOThe video says it all... 2734 Cleveland St, Elloree, SC
9. The dome house on Sullivan's Island.
Dome houses are always head-turners. You'll find this one on front beach on Sullvans Island.
Station 28 1/2 at Marshall Blvd, Sullivans Island, SC 29482
10. Upside down house in Myrtle Beach
This odd house in MB holds more than 100 hands-on science exhibits perfect for some family time with the kids.
1313 Celebrity Cir, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
11. A giant gorilla hanging onto the side of a building in Myrtle Beach
Careful, this attraction may get you pulled over if you gawk too long at the giant gorilla above the Hollywood Wax Museum in Myrtle Beach. We're guessing this one isn't made of wax like the figures inside the museum!
1808 21st Ave N Unit A, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Did you know there were so many fun and bizarre roadside attractions to see in South Carolina? Did we miss any? You can post photos with your comments over on our Facebook page. We’d love to see them!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.