The South Carolina Trail That Leads To A Stairway Waterfall Is Heaven On Earth
Need a break from everyday life? Trekking along one of the best hikes in South Carolina is a great way to unwind and reconnect with nature. South Carolina’s many trails dish up a variety of awesome experiences paired with views that are equally astounding. Most people who’ve visited Paris Mountain State Park near Greenville will undoubtedly recall the Paris Mountain waterfall, the picturesque waterfall spillway visible from the road just before entering the park, but not many people realize there is another lake in this state park, or that the other Paris Mountain waterfall is even more beautiful than the one by the park’s entrance.
Overall, the trail is rated strenuous due to the up and downhill climbs at the beginning (if you’re hiking clockwise). However, after you reach the lake, it’s level or downhill most of the way back to the starting point at parking area 6. For more information on this trek to this waterfall, Paris Mountain waterfall, and any of the park’s other lovely features, check out the Paris Mountain State Park page of the South Carolina State Parks website. You can also consult reviews from hikers who’ve made the trek as well as view their photos on AllTrails. Want to amplify your AllTrails experience? Consider signing up for AllTrails+ sign up.
Paris Mountain State Park is located at 2401 State Park Rd., Greenville, SC 29609. The park and trails are open during select hours. There is a charge for admission. Visit the South Carolina State Parks website to learn more.
More to Explore
Paris Mountain Waterfall
Aside from the Paris Mountain waterfalls, which other waterfalls in South Carolina should be on my bucket list?
There are lots of lovely waterfalls in South Carolina, including:
- Raven Cliff Falls: Nestled in Caesars Head State Park, Raven Cliff Falls is one of the most popular and most beautiful waterfalls in South Carolina. The cascading falls tumble hundreds of feet into the pool below, offering stunning views along a hiking trail.
- Whitewater Falls: Nestled in the Jocassee Gorges area, Whitewater Falls is one of the highest waterfalls in the eastern U.S. The falls plunge over 400 feet and can be seen from several overlooks.
- Falls Park on the Reedy: Located in downtown Greenville, Falls Park on the Reedy boasts a picture-perfect waterfall on the Reedy River. The Liberty Bridge offers an excellent vantage point to view the falls in all their glory.
What are the best state parks in South Carolina?
Paris Mountain State Park isn’t the only state park in South Carolina worth a visit. Here are some of the best state parks in South Carolina:
- Hunting Island State Park: Situated near Beaufort, Hunting Island State Park is a popular destination known for its beautiful beaches, maritime forest, and historic lighthouse. Visitors can swim, fish, hike nature trails, and camp in the park.
- Table Rock State Park: Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Table Rock State Park features stunning vistas, hiking trails, and camping opportunities. The park is centered around its namesake, Table Rock Mountain, and is home to picturesque Pinnacle Lake.
- Caesars Head State Park: Tucked away in the mountains of Upstate South Carolina, Caesars Head State Park features stunning vistas, hiking trails, and the famed Raven Cliff Falls. Visitors can enjoy scenic overlooks, picnic areas, and a nature center.