South Carolina Attractions December 26, 2018
15 Positively Awesome Attractions In South Carolina That Belong On Your 2019 Bucket List
Whether your head is fully engaged in planning your year advance or not, South Carolina is a treasure trove of endless fun just waiting to happen. Bucket lists, New Year’s resolutions… they’re sometimes the same thing, right? So,
resolve to put these 15 fun activities on your bucket list for 2019 and you’ll have an awesome year ahead.
1. Spend a day by — or on — this crystal clear mountain lake
The crystalline, clear water of this mountain lake are simply mesmerizing. Plus, since the lake is filled by various cold mountain streams, it's a fantastic place to cool off in the heat of the summer. Camp or rent a cabin at the state park that provides the only public access to the lake; but make reservations early, the camp sites and the cabins book up fast! Get the deets in
previous article, and enjoy!
2. Hike to a secluded waterfall beach.
After a relatively short hike through the woods, you'll enjoy a day in the sun on this hidden beach at the base of a 12-foot high waterfall. Get all of the details
previously published article!
3. Spend the night, a weekend, or a week at this water park campground.
You'll love the convenience of the water park that is adjacent to this family campground. Enjoy hours of fun every day, plus the park has other outdoor activities as well, like hiking and canoeing. Find it all at James Island County Park. Learn more
previously published article.
4. Go see lightning bugs swarm through a national park.
In the early days of summer, go to Congaree National Park to watch this annual firefly mating ritual. It really IS something! Get the details
5. Step back in time to the good old days at this natural swimming hole.
Summertime fun in South Carolina simply has to include a visit to a swimming hole that takes us back to our youth and perhaps a time before big, fancy water parks. This is the ideal spot for a good, old-fashioned step back in time. Grab all of the details from
6. Take an epic hike on a trail filled with bridges and tree tunnels.
The Palmetto Trail is broken into passages to make it easier to experience the trail in short segments. There's one amazing passage with 14 bridges, including converted train trestles —
and endless tree tunnels
. If you only take one epic hike all year, make it this one. Get more info and see more images in
7. Indulge your sweet tooth on a road trip filled with chocolate.
Travel to seven old-school chocolate shops and stock up on enough gourmet chocolate, fudge, and more to last you the entire year. You'll find the map and details for each chocolate stop in
8. Fill your pantry and your tummy with freshly baked (and cooked) Amish goods at this Amish Bakery and Buffet.
Few things are better than the hearty, wholesome goodness found at this Amish buffet in South Carolina. If you haven't discovered the delicious food and freshly baked breads and more, then you're in for a treat. Get this one on the bucket list asap. You'll find the delicious details at
9. Take a short boat ride to see the secret South Carolina island filled with rhesus monkeys.
Of course, you won't want to actually get
off the boat
because the monkeys are, let's say, territorial and not very receptive to visitors — but you can hire a captain to get you over next to the island where you'll be able to see their cuteness and take as many photos as you like. Can you believe we have an island filled with monkeys?! Get the details
10. Go check out the spirit vibes at one of the most haunted bridges in the country.
See if you sense the paranormal activity often reported by visitors to this spooky old bridge. And if you don't believe in ghosts, visit the bridge anyway... it's the oldest surviving bridge in South Carolina. Learn more
11. Indulge your BBQ cravings and visit an old-timey country store at the same time.
At trip to this nostalgic gas station/general store/BBQ haven is definitely worth the drive! Find out all there is to see and eat at this off-the-beaten-path spot by reading
previously published article.
12. (Antique) shop 'til you drop in a tiny town loaded with stores filled with vintage items.
If you find it hard to resist a good vintage store, just wait 'til you're in a town that's filled with them! Shop 'til you drop, right after you get all of the info from
13. Speaking of shopping...
Make 2019 the year you tackle some of those redecorating projects you've been thinking of. To save some dough, head to this massive fabric (and more!) warehouse in the Palmetto State. It's brimming with designer fabrics, wallpapers (and more!) at deep discounts. Get the scoop in
14. Head to the most unassuming of restaurants for some of the freshest seafood you've ever had.
This little eatery is so hidden, only the locals know about it. And once you find it, you'll likely want to keep it all to yourself too! Find out why (and where it's located) in
15. And last, but certainly not least, resolve to make 2019 the year you spend more time at this divinely beautiful spot in the Palmetto State.
Fred W. Symmes Chapel, also known as Pretty Place, is among the most inspirational of places you can go in South Carolina. Access can be limited so it's important to know the schedule. Get the details
and enjoy every moment at this magnificent place.
So many adventures ahead! Can you get to them all in the coming year?
For more bucket-list items, check out this
seafood bucket list!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.