7 Insane Things That Happened In Rhode Island You Won’t Find in History Books
As one of the oldest states in the nation, Rhode Island has quite an extensive history! While most of this is pretty well documented in our history books, there are a few fascinating things have have happened in the state you probably haven’t heard about. Some of these things occurred more than a century ago, while others are part of our state’s more recent history. Regardless of when it happened, these 7 things are definitely pretty amazing!
1. Years before the Boston Tea Party, the people of Rhode Island lit a British war ship on fire in protest.
Don't mess with the Ocean State. The event known as the Gaspee Affair is still celebrated annually in the state.
2. The first accidental nuclear explosion happened in Little Rhody in 1964!
A uranium recovery worker accidentally spilled a bad combination of radioactive material and caused the explosion in Wood River Junction.
3. There was once a political battle known as the "Dorr Rebellion," where militia's clashed in an attempt to bring broader democracy to the state.
It resulted in the exile of Thomas Dorr and eventual imprisonment after several battles between the then governor and Dorr's regime.
4. The body of Mercy Brown was posthumously exhumed in 1892 after locals suspected the young girl of being a vampire.
The New England Vampire Panic, a confused and tragic reaction to tuberculosis, occurred in the 19th century with Rhode Island at the forefront. It was believed that deceased family members were causing their surviving relatives to fall ill and the only way to stop it was to burn the internal organs of those in the grave.
5. Rhode Island was just one of two states that never ratified the 18th amendment.
Prohibition just seemed like too much of a bummer for Rhode Islanders.
6. A mysterious small explosion happened at a beach in Rhode Island in 2015 during peak beach hours.
The incident caused harm to one beach goer who was thrown 10 feet from the blast. Though no cause has been confirmed, officials speculate that it was caused by a build up of hydrogen gas and a corroded copper wire.
7. The first ever yoga pants parade happened in Rhode Island in 2016.
The parade was in response to a letter to the editor calling for an end to women's yoga pants.
For more on the Mercy Brown Vampire Incident, click
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.