Peterson Rock Garden
This quirky roadside attraction was built entirely by one man—Mr. Rasmus Peterson—who moved to the Central Oregon area in 1906 and began construction on his “yard art” in 1935. What started as a simple rock feature grew to encompass over four acres of his land, including amazing castles, bridges, monuments, and ponds, all created using rocks, petrified wood, and semiprecious stones found across the high desert. Although the artist passed away in 1952, family members have kept his garden alive by allowing visitors to appreciate the landmark. Due to environmental deterioration, Peterson Rock Garden was placed on the Historic Preservation League of Oregon’s “Most Endangered Places” list in 2011, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2013. The garden and museum closed for repairs to the site, but has since reopened to celebrate the history of the area, as well as the impressive artwork of Mr. Peterson.