Pennsylvania August 24, 2015
These 14 Charming General Stores In Pennsylvania Will Make You Feel Nostalgic
General stores are great for when you need a little bit of everything: some eggs for breakfast, a fruitcake to bring to Aunt Merrill’s housewarming, a hacksaw to cut down your neighbor’s pesky hedges, a book about common garden pests, etc… Luckily, there are many wonderful and nostalgic general stores in the state of Pennsylvania. Here are ten of the best.
1. Country Junction, Lehighton
Country Junction calls itself the world's largest general store. It's definitely a fun Pennsylvania landmark that has almost anything you could imagine.
2. Wanamakers General Store, Kempton
Wanamaker's is an old-fashioned, family owned general store located in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country.
3. The Pennsylvania General Store, Philadelphia
The Pennsylvania General Store is located within Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia, which is worth a trip in and of itself.
4. Old General Store, Mt. Pleasant & Donegal
With two locations, the Old General Store will take care of all your general store needs. Browse through their giant collection of charming Americana items.
5. Forksville General Store & Restaurant, Forksville
The Forksville General Store has been open since 1934. Wow!
6. Hilsher's General Store, Port Trevorton
Hilsher's was originally called John C. Herrold’s General Store and was first opened in 1910.
7. Slate Run Tackle Shop and Wolfe's General Store, Slate Run
This is an especially great destination if you enjoy fishing, as the general store and tackle shop can be found in the same building.
8. Lumberville General Store, Lumberville
Sit down and enjoy a delicious baked good from the Lumberville Bakery and soak in the comfortable ambiance of the general store before you browse.
9. Wexford General Store Antiques, Pittsburgh
This is one of the best places to find antiques in Western PA!
10. The Whitehall Store, Belleville
A customer testimonial on The Whitehall Store website says, "The store sells a little of everything, but is worth the stop if only for a walk through simpler times."
11. Pine Creek Trading Post, Watson,
This was once a busy general store but has since shut down. It's in Lycoming county.
12. The Hopkins General Store, Nineveh, Greene County
It's definitely worth stopping at this general store if you're in there area.
13. An unknown general store in Marshall's Creek
As the photographer put it, there's humor in a place that sells "gifts, souvenirs, tackle, fishing licenses, hunting equipment, hardware, Hershey's ice cream, and beer all under one roof."
14. Don's Place, Venango
While clearly shut down, Don's Place in Crawford County was once a very busy general store.
Any other general stores that you would add to the list? Share in the comments below.