Pennsylvania July 27, 2015
Most People Don’t Know That Pennsylvania Was First To Do These 10 Things
Pennsylvania is not only a fun and exciting to live in now, but it has always been on the forefront of… well, everything! We have a ton of rich history in our state. Read on to discover some of the amazing firsts from Pennsylvania.
1. The first roller coaster in the country.
The Mauch Chunk Gravity Railroad was used beginning in the 1850s to delivery coal to the area now known as Jim Thorpe. In 1872, thrill seekers began paying 50 cents to ride the rudimentary roller coaster.
2. The country's first zoo was built in Philadelphia and still operates today.
The zoo was chartered in 1859, but its opening was delayed until 1874 thanks to the American Civil War.
3. The country's first petition against slavery was made in Germantown in 1688.
The 1688 Germantown Quaker Petition Against Slavery was forwarded to meeting after meeting without any action being taken in regard to its purpose.
4. The first circulation library was founded by Benjamin Franklin in Philadelphia in 1731.
It is still standing and in operation today!
5. The first hospital in the country was the Philadelphia Hospital.
Founded in 1751, it's also home to the first medical amphitheater and the first medical library in the country.
6. The Pennsylvania Packet and Daily Advertiser was the first successful newspaper in the country.
Founded in 1771, this newspaper eventually became incredibly popular. Some trace the lineage of this paper to The Philadelphia Inquirer.
6. The first U.S. Mint is located in Pennsylvania.
The Philadelphia Mint opened in 1792 and since has opened branch locations throughout the entire country.
8. The first long distance paved road in the country is located in Pennsylvania.
The Pennsylvania and Lancaster Turnpike first opened in 1795.
9. The country's first suspension bridge was built near Uniontown.
The architect, James Finley, was later elected a justice of the peace.
10. Philadelphia is home to Wanamaker's department store, the first in the United States.
Opened in 1876, Wanamaker's was wildly popular for many decades.
What else would you add to the list? Share in the comments below.