Pennsylvanians are as diverse and as beautiful as the sprawling landscape that stretches across the Keystone State. Despite all of our differences, however, we all share one thing in common. We’re all Pennsylvanians at heart. And, as Pennsylvanians, we’ve all had at least some of these 13 bizarre Pennsylvania experiences at least once.
1. You have played “try to miss the pothole” – and lost.
Come on down and play...try to miss the pothole! Most of us don't willingly play that game but, alas, we are often forced to dodge those pesky potholes and frequently lose.
2. You use both the heater and the air conditioning in the same day.
You wake up toasty and warm on a frigid morning with the heater running but, by afternoon, you've shed the winter clothes and put on shorts, flip flops...and your air conditioner. It's a PA thing.
3. You leave the house bundled up for winter in the morning and return home ready for shorts and flip flops.
If you're waking up with the heater on, you're surely going to bundle up for the day then return home ready to change into your swimsuit for a little sun bathing in the heat.
4. You have gotten into the age-old Philly versus Pittsburgh argument.
Sadly, all Pennsylvanians just don't agree on who has the better professional sports teams - Pittsburgh or Philly. So, if you're like most, you've somehow gotten entangled in an argument over which city has the best teams.
5. You sit in backed up traffic because of construction work but no one's working.
Oh, PA Turnpike, how you make it easy for us to travel from one part of the state to the other except when you deceive us. Who among us has not sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic, muttering under our breath, only to discover, as we pass the construction signs and traffic cones, no one is working that day?
6. You wake up early to watch school delays and closings scroll across the TV screen during the winter.
Snow day! If you grew up in Pennsylvania, you probably jumped out of bed on those snowy mornings, plopped in front of the TV, and just waited to see your school name scroll across the screen with the word "DELAY" next to it. And, boy did you hit the jackpot when that delay changed to "CLOSED."
7. You have taken a selfie with the World's Largest Big Mac.
Yes, only in PA will you find the World's Largest Big Mac. You can't eat it but you can get a selfie with it and show it off to all of your out-of-state friends.
8. You don't blink twice when you pass a giant shoe or a giant coffee pot on the side of the road.
You drive past a giant coffee pot in Bedford County or the Haines Shoe House in York and it's just normal Pennsylvania scenery.
9. You wear shorts in the winter.
Ugh, winter often just drags on and on and some of us Pennsylvanians defy that pesky groundhog Phil, shake our fist at the forecasted snow, and just wear shorts.
10. You have had more than one bad hair day in a week because, well, humidity.
Bad hair day? If your hair frizzes in the humidity, you have plenty of those bad hair days in PA, especially during the summer. But, fret not, for you are not alone.
11. You have raced a lawn mower or...
On your mark, get set and...Pennsylvanians have either zipped down the grass in a lawn mower race or have cheered someone else on as they raced. Or, maybe lawn mower races aren't your style and...
12. A port-a-potty.
You prefer the quirkiness of outhouse races like the annual Dushore Outhouse Race. This bizarre Pennsylvania experience is truly unique to the Keystone State.
13. You can relate to some, if not all, of these bizarre Pennsylvania experiences.
Maybe you haven't had all of these bizarre Pennsylvania experiences yet but you can likely relate to them. And, if you can't, give it time. You will eventually.
These bizarre Pennsylvania experiences are all just a part of what makes Pennsylvania, and Pennsylvanians, so unique.
Click here to discover the 18 undeniable reasons Pennsylvania will always be home.