Oregon August 28, 2017
by Mikayla 18 Reasons Why Living in Oregon is the Best – And Everyone Should Move Here
There’s not much that an Oregonian won’t complain about. The weather. Californians. Hipsters. The weather. You get the idea. Oregonians may like to complain a lot about their state, but deep down we know that Oregon is the absolute best. Our state is home to a plethora of natural wonders, great food (and beer), and quirky attractions.
So without further ado, here are 18 reasons why living in Oregon is the best.
1. No sales tax!
You never pay more than what's on the price tag.
2. Oregon is rich in natural beauty.
Just look at Crater Lake! This is the deepest lake in the entire United States.
3. Portland is a beer lovers paradise.
Sit back and relax with a cold one. Portland has more breweries and brewpubs than any other city in the world.
4. There's so many beautiful waterfalls to chase.
Horsetail Falls is located in the Columbia River Gorge.
5. Oregon has over 300 miles of coastline to explore.
The public has access to all beaches along the Oregon Coast. Just don't forget to bring your sweater.
6. There's so many majestic mountains.
The Cascade Mountain Range extends through Oregon. This makes for great skiing and snowboarding in the wintertime, not to mention stunning year-round scenery.
7. MLS Soccer is a big deal here.
Sports fans will be happy to know that the Portland Timbers soccer team have some of the most dedicated fans in MLS. If you want an unforgettable (and loud) experience, head to Providence Park to take in a game.
8. Thrift shopping is Portland's unofficial sport.
Don't like sports? That's ok, because the thrift shopping here is to die for.
9. There's a town called Boring, Oregon.
Yes, this is a real place. The town was named after its founder, William H. Boring.
10. Nike's World Headquarters is located in Beaverton, Oregon.
Now the world's largest manufacturer and supplier of athletic shoes, Nike comes from humble beginnings. Its first shoes were made on a waffle iron in 1964.
11. Portland is the place "young people go to retire."
It's ok to slack off here.
12. Don't like mountains? Don't like beaches? Good, because Oregon also has deserts.
The central and eastern parts of the state are home to expansive stretches of arid land.
13. We're all weird here.
Yes, "Keep Portland Weird" is the civic slogan. Feel free to be yourself.
14. We take Shakespeare very seriously.
For over 45 years, theater lovers have been congregating in Ashland, Oregon for the annual Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
15. You don't have to pump your own gas.
Need to fill up your tank? Don't worry, there's someone who can do that for you. Pumping your own gas is illegal in Oregon.
16. Portland's best food is on wheels.
You haven't lived if you've never been to one of Portland's food carts. These wheeled restaurants can be found all over the city and serve up a wide variety of delicious snacks.
17. Need to work off some calories? Don't worry, there are plenty of hikes around the state that will kick your butt.
Angel's Rest Hike in the Columbia River Gorge is no walk in the park.
18. There's something for everyone here.
Oregon really does have it all. From diverse landscapes, to friendly people and great food, it's easy to find your happy place in this state.
Convinced that Oregon is the best yet? Share your reasons why this state is great in the comments below!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.