Oklahoma September 28, 2017
by Ashley 11 Unwritten Rules Every Oklahoman Lives By ‘Til Death
Oklahoma is a unique state and if you’ve lived here very long, you’ve probably figured out there are some unwritten rules we go by in this neck of the woods. Here are 11 basic guidelines you need to know to survive in the Sooner State.
1. Quiktrip is the universal meet-up place.
If you're selling something online or need to meet someone, Quiktrip is where you'll meet 99% of the time.
2. A Pikepass is a requirement if you want less headaches.
Of course you could survive without one of these, but don't blame us when you're stuck in a long line to pay your toll.
3. Pay attention to the emergency weather alerts on your phone.
Seriously, pay attention to them...they could save your life one day.
4. We don't put too much attention into our weather forecasts.
We do look at them, but we know the weather changes so often that it's never completely accurate.
5. Don't ignore life jackets.
Every year, without fail, we have several drownings in our bodies of water. Be smart and wear your life preserver.
6. If there's any form of freshwater, there are probably snakes in it.
Pay attention to what is floating in the water around you and don't provoke any snakes you see. We have cottonmouths that are poisonous.
7. Okies are rude drivers, so don't take it personal.
Oklahomans recently ranked one of the worst states for rude drivers. But don't worry, off the road, we are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
8. Air conditioning is a necessity.
Air conditioning is optional in some states, but not here. You will be miserable half of the year if you don't have it.
9. Bug spray makes everything better.
Seriously, we have lots and lots of mosquitoes and bugs. If you don't have it around, it can turn an enjoyable evening into a miserable one.
10. Sunscreen and sunglasses are summer essentials.
One day out in our summer sun and you can seriously burn your eyes and skin.
11. Cowboy boots are basically the official state footwear.
Okay, so maybe not for you young kids, but cowboy boots are accepted at weddings, picnics and at the office.
What other unwritten rules or guidelines would you add to this list? Share with us in the comment section!
Living in Oklahoma has its perks. Check out our previous article, “
13 Ways Living In Oklahoma Ruins You For Life.”
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.