Oklahoma June 27, 2017
12 Embarrassing Facts About Oklahoma That Will Make Your Cheeks Burn
We love you Oklahoma, but sometimes you leave us shaking our head. There are some embarrassing facts out there about the Sooner State that will make your cheeks turn red. From strange laws to weird attractions to shameful statistics, here are 12 facts that might leave you embarrassed.
1. We eat deep fried bull testicles thinking they are a delicacy.
Since cattle ranching is prevalent and castration of young animals is common, Oklahomans just eat away at this common appetizer dish - also known as calf fries.
2. It is illegal in Oklahoma to take a bite of another person's hamburger.
While it is a strange law, I kind of like this one.
3. We have a museum dedicated solely to the American Pigeon.
Located in Oklahoma City, this museum celebrates the relationship between man and the pigeon, known to some as the flying rat.
4. And another one honoring the history and future of the banjo.
Here's one to put on the Oklahoma tourism website: "Find the largest collection of banjos on display in the world in Oklahoma City."
5. The states two largest cities, Oklahoma City and Tulsa, rank among some of the worst roads in the nation.
It's embarrassing driving out-of-towners down are roads and falling into multiple pot holes.
6. Oklahoma ranks dead last among the 50 states in fruit consumption.
I guess that explains why we have one of the highest childhood obesity rates in the United States.
7. And then we go and declare the watermelon as our state vegetable.
Who was the genius responsible for this?
8. You can be fined and/or jailed for making "ugly faces" at dogs.
Yep, it's illegal to scare a dog with an ugly face.
9. It is a law in the Sooner State that cars must be tethered outside public buildings.
Dogs, we get. Cars, not so much.
10. We make a big deal out of the world's largest peanut (and ours isn't even the largest).
We still somehow think we have the largest, but Georgia has one that towers over ours. This title and monument still sits in Durant and is a popular roadside attraction.
11. We buy excessive amounts of bug spray as if we lived in the Amazon.
Of course it's a necessity if you live in the Sooner State, but do we really need every brand and type of repellant?
12. We named a town Hooker.
And if that isn't bad enough, we then name their baseball team the Horny Toads.
If you enjoy reading about crazy laws, check out
these other strange laws in Oklahoma.