Oklahoma June 12, 2016
15 Things People In Oklahoma Did Before The Internet Took Over Our Lives
It’s hard to remember what life was like pre-internet. I mean, you couldn’t hop on your computer or phone and check out the best restaurants, hotels and businesses. You also couldn’t shop online, send emails, use digital maps or have the world at your fingertips – it was a simpler life. Here are 15 things you probably remember before the internet dominated our lives.
1. We wrote REAL letters and sent them by snail mail, instead of email.
Do you remember having to buy the best stationary and use your finest penmanship?
2. Family dinners weren't spent looking at cellphones, but rather engaging in conversation.
It's rare to see anybody out eating these days not on their phone.
3. We had family game nights.
Family game nights were the best!
4. We read more books.
Less people read books these days, and if they do, the majority of them read them on their Kindles or Ipads.
5. We left our work at the office.
You couldn't log-in to work from home, so you had more free time.
6. We went to the library to look up facts and figures.
Who remembers long hours researching at the library? I do!
7. Movie nights meant a double-feature at the local drive-in, instead of sitting at home watching Netflix.
Nights under the stars at the drive-in were so memorable.
8. We read the local newspaper.
Even Fido enjoyed daily paper reading.
9. We gathered on the front porch to catch up with friends, instead of seeing it on their Facebook timeline.
Kids today can't phathom not knowing what is going on in EVERYBODY'S life.
10. Bike riding around the neighborhood took place more often.
Riding bikes and enjoying the outdoors is what life was all about as a kid. Now it's about what social media account to update first.
11. We flipped through family photo albums.
Physical photo albums are becoming a thing of the past, since digital photos are the norm now.
12. We use to sled in the winter.
It was like Christmas morning when Oklahoma got enough snow to go sledding...which also meant it was enough snow to cancel school.
13. Play in the rain in the spring.
Playing outside in the rain is something every kid should experience.
14. Swim with friends and family in the summer.
Summers spent outdoors in the water was what summer was all about. Now you're lucky to get kids away from the television to enjoy a good time.
15. And jump in the leaves in fall.
Of course, you had to rake them first, but the jump made it all worth it.
Don’t get us wrong, we do love the internet but it has changed a lot of things in the world. What other things would you add to this list?