Oklahoma June 13, 2017
11 Awkward Moments Every Oklahoman Has Endured At Least Once
It’s inevitable that you’re going to encounter many awkward moments in life. But being from Oklahoma, we can all probably relate to a few of the same ones. If you live in the Sooner State, here are 12 uncomfortable moments you’ve most likely endured at least once.
1. Showing up to a special event out-of-state and your family is the only one is cowboy boots.
It's totally acceptable in Oklahoma to go to a wedding, graduation or other event in cowboy boots, but not so much in some parts of the country.
2. Explaining your state's shape looks like a pan with a handle.
We are use to it by now, but many outsiders give you a weird look when you tell them the shape of Oklahoma.
3. Traveling out of state and people giving you weird looks when you ask where the nearest QT is.
Then wanting to cry when we see what other convenience stores look like. There's nothing like QuikTrip!
4. When you don't know how to dress for the weather, so you end up dressing like a fool.
Our weather changes so drastically, sometimes we dress for two seasons and look pretty goofy.
5. When we talk about all the tornadoes we get in the state, then admitting we've actually never seen one.
It's amazing how many people live in Oklahoma and still have never seen a twister with their own eyes.
6. Talking to strangers out-of-state and getting a blank stare back.
We assume everyone is as friendly as us sweet Oklahomans, but we soon find out that is not the case.
7. Explaining to out-of-town guests why it's worth waiting in line for hours for our favorite bbq.
If it's good, it's totally worth the wait. This line is in front of Burn Co BBQ.
8. Explaining our obsession with college football.
Some states just don't get it.
9. Having someone tell you that you use the word "y'all" way too much.
Thanks for the feedback, but we like "y'all!"
10. Assuming all liquor stores are closed on Sunday.
If you've ever visited another state without our same liquor laws, you quickly realized you didn't have to buy your alcohol by 9:00 pm on Saturday night for the weekend.
11. Or refusing to buy your beer in the grocery store.
More Oklahoma liquor laws.
12. Justifying the beauty of Oklahoma.
Many people don't believe it until they visit. They still think we are a flat and boring state.
What awkward moments have you endured as an Oklahoman? Have you ever noticed how easy it is to spot a tourist in Oklahoma? Check out
these 12 ways to always spot one in the Sooner State.