Ohio February 28, 2018
19 Reasons Why Ohio Is The BEST State
Did you know that today is Ohio’s birthday? It’s true!
If you’re a local history buff, you likely know that Ohio officially became a state on March 1,1803. Although plenty of things in life and society have changed since then, one truth remains: America simply wouldn’t be the same without Ohio. The following are 19 of the many reasons why we think Ohio is hands-down the best state in the nation.
1. Despite what out-of-staters may think, we have countless hidden gems.
There's always something unexpected to discover in Ohio. (Pictured is Brandywine Falls at Cuyahoga National Park.)
2. Our Ohio Bicentennial Barns are more than just beautiful—they make our state special.
All throughout the state, these beautiful barns give our state a unique stamp on America the Beautiful. (The pictured barn is located in Stark County.)
3. Eight U.S. Presidents came from Ohio…
We're currently tied with Virginia for which state has the most—but give it time and that will change.
4. …and because of our swing state status, we’re actually pretty significant when it comes to Presidential Elections.
Swing states are powerful.
5. We paved the way for mankind…
Man may have never conjured up the courage to walk on the moon if it wasn’t for one brave Ohioan.
6. …and we continue to do so.
Joke about it all you want, but we know the truth of the matter: We're smart. We're REALLY smart.
7. We may not have ever discovered electricity if it wasn’t for one ingenious Ohioan.
The birthplace of Thomas A. Edison is Milan, OH.
8. Without Ohio, America wouldn’t have the simple pleasure of a frosty or a square burger…
Seriously, what's better than fries dipped in a frosty?
9. …and it would never be Skyline Time.
Don't knock it until you try it.
10. There would be no Roller Coaster Capital of the World.
DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW DEPRESSING THIS WOULD BE?
11. We probably wouldn’t even have rock n’ roll.
Cleveland is the proud home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
12. WHAT would we watch on T.V. repeatedly every Christmas?
The official "A Christmas Story" house is also located in Cleveland.
13. Canton is the proud home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
You’re welcome, America.
14. Without Ohio, America would have no "heart of it all."
OUR COUNTRY WOULD HAVE NO HEART.
15. Speaking of hearts, our covered bridges could warm the coldest of hearts.
Ohio is full of some of the most beautiful covered bridges. In fact, it almost has the most covered bridges in the U.S. (Pennsylvania actually has the most, followed by Ohio.) Pictured is the Bridge of Dreams, which stretches over the Mohican River along the Mohican Valley Trail in Union Township.
16. There's nothing quite like the rolling hills of Ohio Amish Country...
Ohio has the largest Amish population of any state in the nation. (As of 2000, the Amish population in Ohio was 49,750. Pennsylvania comes in at number 2 with an Amish population of 40,100.)
17. ...or our state parks and nature preserves
They're full of adventure just waiting to be had. (Pictured is Conkle's Hollow State Nature Preserve.)
18. Our rural scenery is simply unparalleled.
There's just no place like Ohio. <3
19. Our state pride runs deeper than most—and the people here are strong.
Which makes Ohio a great place to live. <3
What other reasons would you add to this list? Share your Ohio pride with us!