Ohio May 17, 2017
13 Weird Side Effects Everyone Experiences From Growing Up In Ohio
Growing up in the Buckeye State inevitably produces some seemingly strange side effects that not everyone’s going to understand—unless you grew up here too, of course.
How do out-of-state visitors think YOU have an accent? What does it matter if you don’t know how many miles you live from Columbus if you just know how long it takes to get there? Do people actually stay home if it snows? The following are 13 weird side effects, thoughts and questions everyone experiences at one point or another from growing up in Ohio. See how many you can relate to:
1. You stopped believing in the "four seasons" sham a long time ago.
Four designated seasons are a whimsical, "Alice in Wonderland" type of concept we’d like to think we know about. In reality, we know that any one of them can occur at any given moment because Mother Nature knows no boundaries in Ohio.
2. You know the reality of the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry that can tear family and friends apart and it’s perfectly acceptable.
In fact, you've likely lost a fickle friend or two but that's alright. You're a Buckeye and you're proud.
3. While driving (anywhere in the world really) your eyes scan surrounding woods and the road ahead for deer.
Highways are no exceptions.
4. You give directions based on a location’s proximity to a major city and you give them in time increments, not miles.
"It’s an hour outside of Cincinnati" will be the sort of answers you get from us and you really can’t expect anything else.
5. You'll forever use the term "pop" instead of "soda."
AND YOU KNOW WHAT WE MEAN SO STOP ACTING LIKE WE’RE ALIENS.
6. You are 100 percent convinced that you don’t have an accent.
Because you don't, of course.
7. You refer to stores such as Meijer, Kroger and JC Penney in possessive form.
It’s "Meijer’s," "Kroger’s" and "JC Penney’s" here and we don’t care if that’s wrong because it just feels right to us.
8. You've given up the fight and frustration that comes with constant street construction.
What's the use? It will just be there again tomorrow with an additional orange barrel or two. Nothing left to do but go with the flow and roll with the punches.
9. But you're also fiercely loyal.
No matter the track record, we've just learned to stick it out through thick and thin.
10. You're not afraid of driving in winter weather.
Because if you let that stop you, you wouldn't leave your house from January to late-April.
11. You know how to have fun.
Thanks to places like the Roller Coaster Capital of the World.
12. And you know how to have a real adventure.
April Dray/Only In Your State
Thanks to places like Old Man's Cave and our amazing state park selection.
13. You genuinely love where you come from. <3
Because, honestly, what's not to love?
Can you relate to these? What side effects do you experience from growing up in Ohio? Let us know!