Ohio December 18, 2017
9 Undeniable Habits That No Ohioan Can Ever Unlearn
Living in Ohio comes with a distinct set of personal qualities and undeniable habits you’ll carry with you through life. It doesn’t matter if you weren’t born here. It doesn’t matter if you travel the world. It doesn’t even matter if you move.
The following are nine undeniable habits that no Ohioan can ever unlearn. It’s just not possible.
1. It will always be "pop."
Seriously. "Soda?" Who do you even think you are?
2. You refer to stores such as Meijer, Kroger and JC Penney in possessive form
It’s "Meijer’s," "Kroger’s" and "JC Penney’s" here and we don’t care if that’s wrong because it just feels right to us.
3. Whenever (and wherever) you travel, you represent your home state.
(Bonus points whenever you can incorporate a famous landmark.)
4. Every time, without fail, you rush to buy milk and bread when the forecast calls for any amount of snow whatsoever.
You don't even have to be IN the state of Ohio. You'll rush to the grocery no matter where you are.
5. We'll forever deny the absurd claim that we have accents.
Seriously. What are you even talking about? Do you even know what an accent is?
6. Randomly yelling out "O-H" whenever you find yourself in a large crowd of people.
And fully anticipating an "I-O" reply.
7. We only give directions based on a location’s proximity to a major city and we give them in time increments, not miles.
"It’s an hour outside of Cleveland" will be the sort of answers you get from us and you really can’t expect anything else.
8. You slightly gag at the mention of *ichigan.
This one runs the deepest of all. And it doesn't matter how illogical it may seem.
9. We relentlessly make fun of Ohio while we secretly love it.
Some things really just can't be explained.
What else would you add to this list?
For more undeniable signs of life in Ohio, check out our previous article:
18 Ways You Know You Grew Up In A Small Town In Ohio.