Ohio March 12, 2015
10 Movies You Might Not Have Known Were Filmed in Ohio
California isn’t the only state for movie stars and production crews. From superhero movies to classic films, some of the most beloved motion pictures have been filmed in Ohio—in certain cities more than others.
1) The Shawshank Redemption: An absolute classic that was partially filmed in the state that simply doesn't get enough credit. (Mansfield Reformatory, AKA the Ohio State Reformatory. )
2) Spider-Man 3: Turns out Ohio—specifically Cleveland—is the place to film super hero movies.
3) Air Force One: Cleveland locations can also be spotted in this 90s thriller, including Severance Hall and the Cuyahoga County Courthouse.
4) A Christmas Story: OK, so maybe the infamous triple dog dare did not take place on an Ohio school playground, but the state is still home to the family's house featured in this Christmas classic.
5) Rain Man: This 80s film was based in Cincinnati for a month, before production crews traveled across the United States to shoot this movie.
6) The Avengers (Avengers Assemble) In addition to Cleveland, this action packed super hero movie was filmed in Cincinnati, Wilmington, Fairborn and Parma, Ohio.
7) Captain America (The Winter Solider) filmed its way throughout one of Ohio's larger cities...you guessed it. Cleveland, yet again.
8) Eight Men Out: This version of the Chicago White Sox scandal was partially shot in Cincinnati.
9) The Soloist: Although this movie was primarily filmed in California, the only other state "The Soloist" was shot in was Ohio...in Cleveland, of course.
10) Howard the Duck: This science fiction comedy was shot throughout California, making one stop outside the state in...yes, CLEVELAND, Ohio.
So, Cleveland might be a movie set hog when compared to other cities in Ohio, but it’s definitely adding to the state’s cool factor. We probably shouldn’t complain.