11 Legitimate Signs You Grew Up In Northern California
Anyone who’s explored California knows the north and south ends might as well be two different planets. If the Golden State makes you think more of Pacific Northwest pines than palm trees, then you might be from the majestic wonderland that is northern California. Whether you spent childhood crabbing off the Humboldt coast or learning to shred on the slopes of Tahoe, the north state will forever be a part of you. Here are eleven undeniable signs you grew up in northern California.
1. When you tell people where you're from, they assume you mean San Francisco
As if the state ends at the Bay and skips right to Oregon.
2. When you really mean northern California
Keep driving for five hours and you'll find it!
3. But there was still a cool bridge!
The Golden Gate ain't got nothin' on Redding's Sundial Bridge.
4. You know the Emerald Triangle isn't made of gems
Northern California's most infamous green crop gave that name to Humboldt, Trinity, and Mendocino counties.
5. The mythical State of Jefferson is real
Several attempts have been made to legally separate rural northern California and southern Oregon into the independent State of Jefferson.
6. You know where Lemurians come from
Mt. Shasta (aka the root chakra of the world) is believed to be home to an ancient civilization living deep beneath the volcano's surface.
7. You never had to fight for a spot on the beach
Northern California's coast is home to beautiful, remote beaches.
8. You learned to ski and walk at the same age
Because that's what you do when you have a mountain in your backyard.
9. Weed is a town and you went to school there
And maybe you have an "I <3 Weed" lighter or coffee mug to prove it.
10. You've met Bigfoot
In fact, you couldn't get away from him! The dude is all over Willow Creek.
11. You either still live here, or wonder why you ever left
Although southern Oregon isn't so bad...
Do you have a favorite indicator of your NorCal upbringing? Leave a comment telling us how people know you grew up in northern California!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.