San Francisco January 04, 2017
Here Are The 11 Biggest Risks Living In The City of San Francisco
San Francisco is undeniably one of the best cities in the country: It has gorgeous natural landscapes, wonderful food, diversity, and innovation. But like any place, San Francisco comes with its own unique set of risks that its residents face. Below are just 11 of the biggest risks that you might encounter living in the 415.
1. The unpredictable yet inevitable earthquakes.
Need we say more? When many people think of San Francisco, they think of big tremblers, like the great earthquakes of 1906 and 1989.
2. Muni and Bart may make you so angry you feel sick.
Jokes aside, San Francisco's public transportation has had some rough years recently. Lack of infrastructure investment, rising ridership, delays, crime, and more have made these systems a real frustration and issue.
3. Sinkholes may appear out of nowhere.
You'll often see reports of sinkholes appearing around the city, so beware. Sinkholes usually form by erosion caused by frequent exposure to water.
4. An aging infrastructure means lampposts could fall on you.
A recent incident in which a lamppost fell directly on a car (due to rotting from, uh, urine) brought to light the city's aging infrastructure. If you don't believe it, then check out
this SF Gate story
5. You may be evicted out of nowhere.
The rental market for apartments in the city is fierce and astronomically high, so developers and landlords are constantly selling to get the most from the market. If you rent, you're in constant fear of a buyout.
6. Constant construction may cause delays, frustrations, and unforeseen incidents.
Thankfully, incidents are few and far between, but the frustration and risk of living near a construction site are high. As the city economy is booming, so is the construction industry.
7. You may spend your life savings (and more) just to live here.
Whether it's astronomically priced coffee, food, or basic everyday necessities, San Francisco remains one of the world's most expensive cities.
8. Passionate sports fans can wreak havoc after their team wins a big game.
You'd think it'd be a fun time to celebrate, but beware if the Giants or the 49ers make it to the post-season. And if they win the big game, you may want to avoid the streets where revelers and rabble-rousers roam.
9. You may end up stepping in dog poo on many city sidewalks.
According to the Census and Animal Care and Control department data, San Francisco has around 10,000 more dogs than children. And not all of those dogs have responsible owners. All we'll say is watch where you're walking at all times!
10. You may find yourself overeating on all the amazing food options.
There's plenty of temptation in a city full of incredible food. From gourmet pastry shops to fancy ice cream parlors to innovative food trucks, it's hard not to eat yourself silly.
11. The biggest risk of all: Falling in love with the city so much you'll never want to leave.
San Francisco is so beautiful you'll likely experience separation anxiety whenever you leave it. Loving San Francisco is a great thing, but painful when you have to say goodbye. The city is downright addictive.
Have you experienced any of these risks firsthand? Let us know! And now that you know the risks, you may want to explore
The 11 Best Kept Secrets In San Francisco.