Northern California February 21, 2017
15 Things Every Northern Californian Wants The Rest Of The Country To Know
Northern California is a great place to visit, and we love our tourists. How could we not, when showing off this amazing place is just so much fun? There are a few things we expect the rest of the country to be up to speed on by the time they get here, however, and that’s why we compiled this list.
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life as we all practice social and physical distancing. While we’re continuing to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, we don’t expect or encourage you to go check them out immediately. We believe that supporting local attractions is important now more than ever and we hope our articles inspire your future adventures! And on that note, please nominate your favorite local business that could use some love right now:
1. Don't expect the mild, breezy weather of Southern California. Up here in NorCal, we have seasons.
2. Expect small towns and rural living, not strip malls and suburbia.
These rolling hills are located outside of Amador City.
3. Call it NorCal, CA, or even California... Please don't abbreviate it to Cali.
4. We're known for our trees, and they aren't palm trees. If you have never seen a Redwood in person, prepare to be amazed.
The Redwood State and National Parks are like nothing else.
5. The same goes for our mountains. There's nothing quite like the ones we have here, be they the Trinity Alps, the Southern Cascades, or the Sierra Nevada.
Grizzly Falls in the Trinity Alps Wilderness
6. It's rare that you would find another group of people who know how to have more fun.
7. Or are more proud to be locals.
Northern Californians sure have a lot of pride in our natural places and our history of stewardship that dates back to John Muir.
8. We're rivals with our neighbors to the south, so please don't confuse us with Southern Californians.
9. We like to see our visitors shop local and support small businesses.
In continual business since 1843, Placerville Hardware Store is the oldest operating hardware store west of the Mississippi River.
10. We have the best sunsets ever. If you aren't from the west coast, you probably haven't lived until you have seen the sun set over the Pacific Ocean.
11. Traffic in our most popular tourist destinations can get pretty bad. Do yourself a favor and visit in the off season.
The road to Tahoe, pictured here, has a bad reputation when it comes to traffic. Explore this winter wonderland on a weekday instead of weekend for a much more pleasant experience.
12. It's really, really dumb to take a selfie with our wildlife.
California’s native Tule elk were driven to the edge of extinction by hunting and habitat loss, with perhaps as few as 10 or 20 surviving animals left at one point in the 20th century. Be wary of putting your back to any wild animal, however docile they may seem!
13. We have a cool, wild west kind of history here, and we're proud of it!
Lively living history participants make the Sacramento Gold Rush Days quite the treat.
14. We know the rest of the country is jealous of where we live...
This picture shows the sun rising over Emerald Bay at Lake Tahoe.
15. But we're just happy to call the best place in the country home.
Nevada City, pictured here, is one of those small Northern California towns where the people are friendly and the food is delicious
For those of you reading this also from Northern California, what else would you want the rest of the country to know about this place? For more fun NorCal culture, check out this article:
14 Incredible Places In Northern California That Will Bring Out The Explorer In You.