The Oldest Lake In Northern California Is A Beautiful Piece Of Living History
As local travel experts, we know what travelers are looking for when it comes to finding the perfect accommodations for their next trip. To compile our lists, we scour the internet to find properties with excellent ratings and reviews, desirable amenities, nearby attractions, and that something special that makes a destination worthy of traveling for.
When it comes to naming “the oldest,” “the biggest,” or “the best” of something, I know that you can find plenty of things that fit the bill when you’re in Northern California. For example, when it comes to spectacular bodies of water, you’ll find Clear Lake – the largest freshwater lake in California. Are you curious and want to know more about the history of Clear Lake? Read on as we explore this historic and geological marvel that’s been a part of Northern California’s landscape since almost the beginning of time.
Whether visiting day or night, from nearby or further afield, you’ll find Clear Lake to be one of the most amazing lakes and places to visit in California.
Have you been to Clear Lake? If so, we’d love to see your photos and hear about your experience there. Feel free to share in the following comments section.
If you’re looking for other amazing bodies of water to visit when you’re in Northern California, be sure to check our coverage of Bass Lake. I also recommend checking out these best lakes in Northern California when you want to explore a bit more of The Golden State.
More to Explore
Largest Freshwater Lake in California
What are some fun facts about the history of Clear Lake?
In addition to what you just learned, here are some fun facts about the history of Clear Lake:
- Clear Lake is 2.5 million years old.
- Clear Lake has earned the name of the "Bass Capital in the World" due to the abundance of largemouth bass found here.
- There are about 100 miles of shoreline along Clear Lake. This makes the largest freshwater lake in California a prime destination to enjoy water sports.
- The temperature at Clear Lake tends to reach the 90s in the summer. In the winter, Clear Lake can drop to as low as 32 degrees.
What are some of the most beautiful lakes in Northern California?
Along with Clear Lake, take a look at some of the most beautiful lakes in Northern California:
- Sardine Lake: This scenic destination is tucked with the Sierra Mountains and is an ideal spot for fishing and hiking.
- Donner Lake: Head to Truckee to visit this stunning lake that's deemed one of the clearest in California.
- Thousand Island Lake: Your jaw might drop when you lay your eyes on this stunning landscape at the foot of Banner Peak in Northern California.
- Tamarack Lake: While this spot is said to receive the most snow in California, it's an ideal destination to rest and relax during the warmer months.
Take a look at these best lakes in Northern California.