Northern California January 23, 2017
14 Things Everyone Who’s Moved Away From Northern California Has Thought At Least Once
Northern California will always be home. Even if we travel the whole wide world several times over, this spot on earth will always have a special place in our hearts. From the redwood forests to the dramatic coastal cliffs to the agricultural centers to the high elevation mountain peaks, this is one unique place and there are a lot of things that those of us who have moved away from this area really miss. Here are a few things you know you have thought at least once if you miss living in NorCal.
1. “Wow, those trees look small. Is this forest full grown?”
Even those of us who don't live among the redwoods or the sequoias are used to larger trees, and we don't even know it!
2. “You’re complaining that it’s raining? I’m never going to take that for granted again!”
The 5 year drought from 2011 until 2016 was rough.
3. “I have to drive how far to see the ocean?”
We're 3 hours from the coast no matter what part of the state we are in, tops.
4. “The people here are nice, but they aren’t great like the folks in my hometown.”
Just look how friendly and fun this geezer is! I'd like to have a beer with him any day.
5. “I miss life in a small town where everyone knows my name.”
People here take care of their own, but we're also super welcoming and you will feel like family.
6. “Sunsets just aren’t the same.”
There's nothing else like watching the sunset over the ocean, no matter what they say back east about sunrises.
7. “There’s no place just like that secret spot that I used to go to.”
Pictured here is Natural Bridges in Calaveras County. It's a one of a kind spot and you're lucky if a local shows you the way.
8. “I had some pretty epic adventures in Northern California”
Hiking, boating, biking, swimming...everything all the way to paddling a canoe is within reach here. The same can't be said for everywhere else in country.
9. “Where are all the mountains?”
Shasta and the surrounding peaks are just some of the iconic sights here in Northern California that you will definitely miss.
10. “I miss how easy it is to eat with a dietary restriction.”
Northern California is extremely accommodating, in restaurants as well as grocery stores.
11. “There’s just not as good of a selection at the farmer’s markets”
Sacramento is the farm to fork capital of the U.S, and there rest of NorCal is just as great when it comes to local fruits and veggies.
12. “It sure is nice to get a break from the summer heat.”
Although, in other parts of the country, you don't get that satisfaction of jumping into a cool lake on a hot day. There's nothing better than that.
13. “There’s nothing like the late afternoon sunlight filtering through dry, dusty pine trees.”
It's a spectacular sight that always puts me at ease.
14. “There’s no place like home.”
It's true. Northern California is a one of kind place that leaves it mark on all of us who have lived here.
What else do you miss about living in Northern California? Share you favorite memories of this incredible place with us on Facebook… your ideas might even end up as a future story idea!