Northern California December 23, 2016
15 Sure-Fire Ways To Make A Northern Californian Mad
Northern California is pretty typical of the West Coast. Those of us who live here are pretty laid back and look for the good in most folks. There are just a couple things that really get us fired up, however, and most of them are because of how the rest of the country perceives us. Here are a few things that really make us mad.
1. Forget that there is more to California than SoCal.
There's a whole other half to this state that's one of the biggest in the country, for Pete's sake.
2. Assume that the Bay Area is all there is in NorCal.
Yep, all we have is sky scrapers and multimillionaires.
3. Don’t understand that we really do like being country bumpkins.
4. Doubt that we have some of the best Main Streets in America.
California isn't all big cities and suburbs, our small towns are amazing.
5. Plant a palm tree in a climate where it just doesn’t belong.
Did you know there are some cities and counties in Northern California where palm trees are illegal? Placerville is one!
6. Assume the only thing to see in Northern California is dead grass and strip malls.
These are Roosevelt Elk. Betcha didn't know we had those, did ya?
7. Make fun of our State Slogan: Eureka!
There's nothing like yelling it out when something satisfying happens, like finding a giant nugget of gold.
8. Assume we haven’t contributed anything to California's culture.
Remember the Gold Rush? Why millions of people moved to California in the first place? Yep, that was in Northern California.
9. Assume that all the good wine comes out of Napa or Sonoma.
Don’t get us wrong, those are some amazing wine destinations. But did you know that the entire state has some truly great wineries? We love the wineries in El Dorado and Amador Counties - they are so worth the trip! This is the back deck of Lava Cap Winery in Camino.
10. Tell us we don’t have any real beaches.
The ocean front may be rocky and cold, but nothing beats hanging out at a Northern California river or lake in the summer.
11. Assume we don’t have seasons.
Really? We have 4 amazing seasons here in Nor Cal! You must be thinking of Southern California.
12. Straight shoot it through the state on I-5 without taking your time to see what else we have to offer.
13. Waste water.
It's frustrating to no end to see our water get piped down to Southern California. Just remember where that came from every time you turn on a tap in L.A!
14. Try to pronounce places like Siskiyou and Tulelake.
Ok, to be honest this one actually makes us laugh more than it makes us mad.
15. Tell us you’ve been to a prettier part of the country.
What else really makes you mad that people often assume about life here in Northern California? Be sure to share it with us on Facebook – and then check out
20 Reasons You’ll Want to Live In Northern California Forever.