North Dakota October 04, 2017
10 Unwritten Rules Every North Dakotan Lives By ‘Til Death
Even though these rules aren’t laws, North Dakotans will follow them until the death. They’re just part of living in the Peace Garden State and that’s not going to change any time soon. So if you’re new to here, this is a bit of a rundown of what you should expect in ND:
1. If you're going to root for college sports teams, it better be green.
You're either an NDSU fan, UND fan, or both. Green is where it's at!
2. Always do the farmer two finger wave back when on a country road.
If you don't, you just look rude! It doesn't matter if you know the person or not.
3. Never underestimate the wind chill - EVER.
When people think the dangers of winter they think snow and just cold temperatures, but what you really should be worried about in North Dakota is the wind chill. Now THAT'S cold... and even dangerous sometimes!
4. If you're organizing a potluck, someone better be bringing hot dish.
Is it really a potluck in ND if there is no hot dish?
5. Always be on the lookout for critters on the road, because there are lots.
Deer, raccoons, skunks, and many more animals seem to have a death wish on the roads here, so always be on the lookout when you're driving.
6. Never say the words "I think winter is finally over," because you'll surely jinx it.
Winter tends to drag out long into the spring months in North Dakota and just when you think the snow has no chance of falling anymore, it will.
7. Don't take the small town life for granted.
North Dakota is a state full of small towns and those of us that have grown up and live there should always cherish it, because some people have never and will never be able to experience why it's so great.
8. If you have the chance to get a car with auto start, do it.
Auto start is a blessing in the form of a button on your car keys that will save you a lot of time and chilliness in the winter. Seriously, this is one you won't ever want to lose once you have it.
9. Don't order a "soda" here, because that's not what it's called.
Are you referring to baking soda? No? Then call it what it is: pop!
10. Be prepared for silly questions when out-of-staters learn you're from North Dakota.
"Is that the place with the mountain that has the faces?" No. "Do you guys live in igloos up there?" Um... no! "Does North Dakota actually even exist?" What?? And yes, that last one is an actual conspiracy theory you can look up.
What other North Dakotan rules would you add to this list? And did you know that there are actual crazy laws in this state like not being allowed to wear hats to dances? Seriously!
Click here for that and more wacky, weird ND laws.