This Natural Wonders Road Trip Will Show You North Dakota Like You’ve Never Seen Before
A lot of people out there seem to think that North Dakota is nothing but flat fields. They couldn’t be more wrong! The varying landscapes of the Roughrider State are loaded with unique, beautiful, and unusual natural wonders. If you want to check out some of the best to show off the state in a way you’ve never seen, then you absolutely must take this road trip. What are the natural wonders of North Dakota? Find out on this epic adventure!
North Dakota’s natural attractions are truly incredible and after you’ve taken this trip you’ll definitely know that this state is full of a variety of landscapes other than flat prairie. Need more ideas for awesome outdoor places to visit? Happy to help! Check out some more of the most beautiful places in North Dakota while you’re here.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
What Are The Natural Wonders Of North Dakota?
- What are the natural wonders of North Dakota?
North Dakota is an awe-inspiringly beautiful state and it doesn’t get nearly enough credit that it rightly deserves. In fact, it’s the least-visited state in the country, and we think that’s some sort of travesty. There are tons of natural wonders in North Dakota, including (but not limited to):
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park – all of it, but especially the petrified forest parts
- Icelandic State Park might actually be one of the most beautiful places in the entire upper Midwest
- The Caprock Coulee Trail leads hikers through some truly amazing geological wonders of North Dakota that most folks don’t even know exists
Learn more about the amazing natural wonders in North Dakota you ought to add to your bucket list.
- Are there National Parks in ND?
North Dakota is home to two amazing National Parks, both of which are 100 percent worthy of a long visit (preferably in the form of an extended camping trip). Those parks are:
- Badlands National Park, which is shared with South Dakota (who, admittedly, has a claim to way more of the park than we do)
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park, which is absolutely incredible (and also shared with our southern counterpart, though there’s a significantly larger portion of TRNP in ND than SD)
Learn more about the amazing National Parks in North Dakota.
- What kind of places should I add to my ND bucket list?
There are a number of places that make excellent additions to the old bucket list, even in little ol’ North Dakota. Some of the must-add places for your ND bucket list are places like:
- The Chase Lake National Wildlife Refuge is absolutely amazing, especially for anyone who appreciates wildlife.
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park – yes, it’s 100 percent worth mentioning AGAIN.
- The Sheyenne National Grassland is an amazing demonstration of how beautiful the prairie can be.
- Pembina Gorge is incredibly photogenic year-round.
Learn more about some of the best bucket list places in North Dakota.