North Dakota February 23, 2017
10 Things Only Those From North Dakota Know To Be True
Living in North Dakota is definitely unique compared to other places and there are a few bits of knowledge people who live here will pick up along the way. These 10 things are information we know very well, even if other people don’t, and we know they are definitely true:
1. North Dakota is not the state with Mount Rushmore.
This should be a public service announcement. I have never even been to Mount Rushmore and yet every time I mention I'm from North Dakota to people from other places, they ask if I go there often.
2. And we know North Dakota is the better Dakota.
South Dakota may have "great faces, great places", but we know ND is best anyway - it is Legendary, after all!
3. No matter how much snow falls or wind blows, school will probably not be canceled.
Ah yes, the number of times the school bus got stuck and we were late anyway.
4. At some point in your life here, you will be stuck driving behind a tractor on the road.
It's just going to happen, and you're going to accept it and be okay with it.
5. Fishing doesn't end when summer is over.
Some people think ice fishing is just for people who live in igloos, and they'd be wrong.
6. Even if you aren't into football, you know how the previous day's Bison game went.
There's no way you won't encounter someone or some people who are talking about it.
7. Lutefisk is special and doesn't deserve all the hate.
Okay, so maybe it's a bit of an acquired taste, but there are some North Dakotans who like it (or at least pretend to) so there's no reason to judge.
8. We are convinced we don't have accents.
There are popular movies out there that would say otherwise, but we promise, you'd have better luck finding someone with a
Fargo accent in our eastern neighbor state.
9. It's probably more important here than in most other places to watch for critters on the road.
And I'm not talking little squirrels, either. Deer, raccoons, coyotes, skunks, and more are pretty abundant here.
10. North Dakota has quite a few official and unofficial nicknames.
Most other states have one official nickname. We have the Peace Garden State, the Rough Rider State, and the Flickertail State. Plus there is the unofficial nicknames or shortening of the name like NoDak.
What are some other undeniable pieces of North Dakota knowledge?
Most all North Dakotans can probably relate to these 9 things, too.