North Dakota February 28, 2017
10 Things North Dakotans Do That Seem Insane To Everyone Else
Even though living in North Dakota isn’t anything too extreme or different than anywhere else, there are some things North Dakotans do that may cause people from other places to scratch their heads. We’re an interesting bunch, that’s for sure, and here are 10 things that probably seem pretty crazy to everyone else:
1. Eat lutefisk.
This one is reasonable to find slightly weird. It's an acquired taste most people don't have.
2. Not only survive the harsh winters, but embrace them.
Subzero temperature, heavy snow, and winds don't keep us inside in the winter. Snowmobiling and ice fishing are just a couple of things we love to do in the wintertime.
3. And we don't have nearly as many snow days for school as many people would expect.
Are there blizzard conditions outside and the entire neighboring state has canceled school already? It'll be fine to start school as normal, we don't even need a delay.
4. Have some pretty weird and wacky laws.
Strange laws in North Dakota include not being allowed to dance with a hat on and not being allowed to nap with your shoes on.
5. Make an entire stretch of road into a larger-than-life art gallery.
There's no other roadside attraction quite like the Enchanted Highway, and some people probably think it's a little crazy.
6. Do a small wave at everyone we pass while driving down country roads.
It doesn't matter if you know that person or not, you always lift a couple fingers off the wheel in acknowledgement to each other when you pass.
7. Find watching a storm brew up more entertaining than watching TV.
This especially includes storms that have the potential to spawn a tornado, for some reason. It's just so fascinating to sit out on the front porch and watch the clouds roll in.
8. Have conversations with just about anyone, anywhere, even if we don't know you.
Before I moved to North Dakota, it was pretty typical to not engage in conversation with anyone I didn't know in a public place - everyone mostly kept to themselves. Here in ND you can easily spark up a conversation with anyone, even while waiting in line at a store or similar scenarios.
9. Use a few words that would easily confuse outsiders.
A lot of words from languages of many North Dakotans' ancestry have trickled down into use today. Norwegian and German are two big ones that show up from time to time.
10. Get as crazy as we do about college hockey and football.
We're only so crazy about it because our college teams are so good, just saying!
What other wacky things do North Dakotans do that should be on this list? On the other side of things,
here are great reasons why everyone should love North Dakota anyway!