North Dakota February 11, 2016
These 12 Epic Hills In North Dakota Will Drop Your Jaw
North Dakota is known for being a fairly flat state, and a lot of it is, but there are in fact parts of the state with breathtaking hills. From lush fields of rolling hills to jagged canyon walls, we have them. Don’t believe me? Check out these 12 epic photographs of some gorgeous hills found in North Dakota.
1. A storm approaching these hills in Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
There are a LOT of hills in the Theodore Roosevelt National Park, which makes it a very picturesque spot for views like these.
2. Butte outside of Williston, ND.
Buttes are like the majestic mountains of the plains, only they stand alone instead of in ranges. I think this makes them look even more awesome. Especially the wide variety of shapes they come in which are created through years and years of steady erosion to the walls.
3. Rolling grassy hills near Burlington, ND.
These lovely hills create a serene and beautiful atmosphere. Plus, I bet they are great to sled down in the winter!
4. Canyons in every color you could imagine.
From the bright fiery red, to the greens of the grass, and many colors in between - this is just amazing and found right here in North Dakota.
5. Interestingly pointed hills in the western half of North Dakota.
Among the lush green grass are these interestingly shaped hills.
6. Bison grazing near a mighty hill in Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
This shot is a great way to depict North Dakota in all its beauty!
7. Lone hill by Lake Jessie near Binford, ND.
Just as the sun is rising over this hill with faded stars still visible in the sky, this shot was taken near Lake Jessie. Lake Jessie is a historical site marking the spot where a 19th century French expedition stayed while on their quest of mapping out America.
8. A perfect example of the change in sediments over the years in this fascinating hill.
You can see perfect layers of different types of sediments and rock in this hill found in North Dakota. These sediments built up over the years and differed due to environmental conditions and other factors, then eroded away over many years afterwards to give us this awesome glimpse into the history of the earth.
9. Green rolling hills in Teddy Roosevelt Backcountry.
The sun was just starting to dip below the landscape and gave us this shot. It looks like a painting crafted by a master, but it is pure North Dakota beauty.
10. These hills near Scoria Point Overlook.
The difference in the colors of these hills is amazing, and forms a neat mini-mountain peak near Scoria Point.
11. Perfectly cut hill among beautiful scenery.
This hill has been cut away at sharp angles and almost reminds me of tiers of a cake - complete with multiple layers in each tier to result in the perfect dessert! For the record, I do not recommend trying to eat this hill.
12. Bright and beautiful hills near Sentinel Butte, ND.
Now this is the essence of a part of North Dakota many people forget about: rolling hills, towering buttes, and cattle grazing below.
Yes, we do have a lot of flat fields, too, but everyone deserves to see the other kinds of gorgeous views found within this state, too. North Dakota holds many types of beauty other states would be jealous of!