North Dakota February 07, 2017
11 Ways North Dakota Is America’s Black Sheep… And We Love It That Way
North Dakota is definitely a little different than other states when it comes to a lot of things. In some ways, we might just be America’s black sheep. But despite that, we North Dakotans know we wouldn’t want it any other way. These 11 things are a little out there to some people but we’re totally okay with that.
1. North Dakotans have a deep fascination with weather.
When I say we have a fascination with it, I almost mean an obsession. We're really good at talking about what the weather is like with other people. We also have this weird habit of standing or sitting outside and watching a storm brew up and only going inside when it seems really necessary.
2. We're one of the only places outside of Egypt with a pyramid and it isn't even just for decoration.
This giant concrete structure and the story behind it would probably make a conspiracy theorist's day, but all we really have to say about it now is that it certainly makes for an interesting part of the landscape.
3. We have a deep love for certain regional foods that most other states have never heard of.
4. And we value caramel rolls over cinnamon rolls by far.
Get outta here, cinnamon rolls. You may be the more popular pastry in most other places but giant North Dakota caramel rolls are where it's truly at!
5. We take part in some rather unusual sports.
We love sports like football and hockey like most other places, but lawn mower racing is pretty awesome, too.
6. Hunting is big enough here that schools usually give the day off on opening day of the season.
If they didn't, many kids (and even teachers) would probably be mysteriously "sick" all on the same day.
7. We seem to have a weird tendency to make larger-than-life animal statues as roadside attractions all over the state.
We've got world record-holding statues everywhere. Salem Sue the Holstein Cow, Dakota Thunder the Buffalo, and even the entire Enchanted Highway that is full of humongous structures depicting animals and scenes.
8. Fish statues also get some fame.
Wally the Walleye of Garrison and Wahpper the Catfish of Wahpeton are too good examples. And let's just get one thing straight - that's the best name ever for that catfish.
9. Year after year, the winters still don't defeat us.
While it isn't a year-round winter wonderland like some people think, if we're being honest we know that our winters can be harsh. Despite all the snow, the windchill being deep into the negatives, and the days where when you walk outside you can barely breathe, we're still here.
10. We sometimes say things like "uff da."
That's a phrase we use pretty much daily and it's weird to think there are other states that have never heard of it.
11. Despite some of our oddities, we still love North Dakota.
No matter what!
What are some reasons you love this state, even if they’re kind of weird? North Dakotans definitely have a lot to be proud of when it comes to their state; you can find
more reasons why here!