North Dakota December 11, 2016
9 Surefire Signs That You Definitely Belong In North Dakota
Not sure if you belong here or not? You might want to consider some of the signs that may indicate you’re meant to be a North Dakotan. We’re a little bit different than other states, but a lot of us are true prairie dwellers at heart, and so might you be. If you show any of these nine signs, you probably belong in this state:
1. You have a hard time turning down the chance to go to a bonfire in the middle of a field.
Maybe it's not a common past time in some other places, but we do love a good bonfire here. I mean, what's not to love about bonfires?
2. Or you think the idea of a country drive isn't "old school."
Why people think this is more of a thing of the past, I don't get. There's nothing wrong with an occasional drive just to drive!
3. You have a high tolerance to the cold.
Have you ever had a moment when someone from a warmer state says it's really cold out, and you ask them how cold, and they say it's something like 40 degrees, and you just laugh quietly to yourself because that's nearly shorts weather to you? That's when you know.
4. You're a fan of hunting or fishing, or likely both.
We're all about hunting and fishing here, and with the great opportunities for both, you'll fit right in. Especially if you enjoy wearing camouflage all the time, even when you aren't hunting!
5. You enjoy wide open spaces.
There are some places out there that have very dense urban areas with hundreds of thousands of people living in there, and North Dakota is not one of them. We have some pretty busy downtowns in our cities, but a majority of the state is out in the open.
6. And you enjoy the huge skies that come with those spaces.
Love sunsets? Sunrises? A night sky filled with stars? The northern lights? Well have I got the place for you...
7. You're comfortable behind the wheel and the thought of having to drive to most places.
If you're a commuter who prefers to take mostly public transportation like metro or subway systems, or perhaps ride a bike or walk, this isn't the state for you. Winter doesn't lend itself to bikes or walking very well, and most places are too spread out for public transport. Cars are kind of a necessity in such a big state.
8. You have a certain taste for either Scandinavian or Germans-from-Russia dishes.
It's not hard to find a place or person that will server these kind of dishes up here!
9. You have a tendency to talk about the weather to open most conversations.
Let's face it, us North Dakotans talk about the weather a lot.
When did you know you belonged in North Dakota?
There are some signs people THINK mean you belong in North Dakota, but they’re only talking about
stereotypes like these here, that definitely need to be put to rest.