North Carolina December 28, 2016
21 Ways North Carolina Is America’s Black Sheep… And We Love It That Way
Every family has the ‘black sheep,’ that one family member that seems to stand out and just…not quite fit in so well. While the family may look at the black sheep as different, the black sheep knows in fact they’re actually awesome for being SO different. On a larger scale, states have cities that are the black sheep and of course, America has states that are a bit different than the rest. While North Carolina might stand on its own, we wouldn’t want to have it any other way…here’s why.
1. North Carolina clearly can't decide on one landscape to stick to, but what's the fun in staying the same from east to west?
2. Due to the diverse landscape, you could take a thirty minute drive and find yourself in completely different surroundings.
3. Our small towns strive to be more than a dot on a map, with a culture and Main Street all their own.
4. Our festivals celebrate some strange things...like white squirrels.
5. And wooly worms in Banner Elk.
6. And pottery! Like in Seagrove where you'll find the most potters per square mile in the US.
7. Some of us make our living as bankers, others as farmers, others as artists or glass blowers. We have appreciation and a culture that accepts and allows any career or passion to thrive.
8. Speaking of...no two North Carolinians are alike.
9. Go to a coffee shop and you might chat with a southern belle and even some good country folk. At the table over, meet someone who tells you about their crystal healing or amazing artwork.
10. And if you find yourself at the Outer Banks, you might notice the natives have an accent unlike anything you've ever heard - which has deemed them the name 'hoi toiders.'
11. While we're different, we basically speak our own language through unique dialect only we can understand.
12. People might make fun of how we handle snow in the winter....
13. But come fall they all want to be us!
14. We worship and cry over college basketball but know that's where the true blood, sweat and tears are at.
15. We have two types of BBQ because why have just one of something so amazing?
16. We worship hole in the wall restaurants because we know that's where the best food will be.
17. Our weather is pretty bipolar but it keeps things interesting and keeps us guessing.
18. We get the concept of livermush. Some of us even pair it with eggs for breakfast.
19. Want to swim with wild horses? We got you covered. The Outer Banks are unlike anything you'll experience...from lighthouses to uninhabited beaches, to driving on said beaches - it's wildly unique.
20. We might be in the south but our culture is all its own. We worship long summer nights on the front porch, befriending neighbors, and living life laid back, simply, and also sometimes lavishly. You never know what you'll get here, but at the heart of it we're great people who know where we came from and cherish the state that made us.
21. While other states might point fingers, claim they'll boycott us over issues and politics relatively out of our control, somehow they continue to keep visiting year after year. Clearly the black sheep is the best sheep.
North Carolinians have a deep pride and love for their home state, and wouldn’t want it any other way! What are some others you’d add to the list?
Another way we’re unique? We have
a unique meal we eat each New Year’s Day per superstition! Don’t forget to make yours!