North Carolina October 29, 2016
15 Sure-Fire Ways To Make A North Carolinian Mad
Each state has its own unique culture, a way of doing things and a way of living. With that culture comes some norms and respectable actions that out of staters and visitors should be aware of. North Carolinians are generally very nice, southern people, but these 15 things might have us getting our britches in a bunch.
1. Pronounce Appalachian Appa-LAY-shun.
2. Think all NC BBQ is created equal. (There's a serious difference between Eastern and Lexington.)
3. Ask if said BBQ joint is an abandoned building. No, those 'abandoned buildings' are where some of the best BBQ in the state comes from.
4. Make fun of us for saying "y'all."
5. Say anything negative about Bojangles. Don't talk badly about my cajun filet biscuit, y'all.
6. Not appreciate the amazingness of Cookout - or be unwilling to make a 2 a.m. run there.
7. Underplay the Duke V UNC rivalry - it's only the greatest in the nation. For that matter, all college basketball in North Carolina. Go home, Maryland.
8. Ask us exactly where "yonder" is. If you have to ask you'll never know.
9. Turn your nose up at a delicious, southern, home cooked family meal. Actually, that just means more for me.
10. Turn down an offer to just get in the car and drive around. With beautiful roads everywhere, it's always good for the mind and soul to hit the open road in North Carolina.
11. Bring up HB2. It's unfair to lump an entire state into a single ideology, whatever your stance might be.
12. Make fun of the way North Carolinians handle snowstorms.
13. Don't order your meal "all the way" at a famous hot dog or burger joint. Sorry, but we promise it's amazing!
14. Assume we're all the same. From the mountains to the coast, North Carolina has abundant, diverse cultures, people, and landscapes!
15. Focus on the bad. To an outsider, North Carolina might not be stellar in terms of politics, but we are an amazing state with beautiful cities, towns, mountains, beaches...everything. And if you give us a chance, you'll realize North Carolinians are some of the nicest, laid back, hospitable southern people you'll ever meet.
I feel like I could go on and on with this list, but for now, it’s a nice start. What else would you add and what have out-of-staters done that makes you mad?
If you’re looking for more articles on North Carolina culture (or if you’re planning for a visit) you might want to add
these 30 words to your vocabulary.