North Carolina March 25, 2017
The 15 Places You Absolutely Must Visit In North Carolina This Spring
Spring has sprung and I can’t help but plan a whole itinerary to make the most of the changing season in our beautiful state. While some adventures are obvious others might be somewhat unknown. You must do these 15 things to make the most of spring in the Tar Heel state.
1. Catch the rhododendron blooms taking over Craggy Gardens in late May.
This is a beautiful sight that happens once a year; plan your trip with our comprehensive guide
2. Sleep beneath the forest canopy in your very own treehouse.
Between booking a stay at
or finding your own to rent on Airbnb or VRBO, there are plenty of options for a nostalgic, nature getaway.
3. Fall down the rabbit hole at Elizabethan Gardens.
The charming and exquisite gardens
are perfect for a royal spring day trip.
4. Swim in a quarry at Carrigan Farms.
While this is a late spring activity, the first public swim takes place Memorial Day.
for more information.
5. Satisfy your sweet tooth with a trip to a chocolate factory
Black Mountain Chocolate in Winston-Salem is open for
that give you an inside look at what goes behind making the delicious bean to bark chocolate. Perfect for those rainy April days.
6. Or keep it classic with some homemade ice cream.
7. Climb through the treetops at this amazing adventure park.
Waterfalls and forest canopies in Fayetteville? Yeah, we didn't believe at first either until discovering the amazing
ZipQuest Waterfall and Treetop Adventure
and now I'm ready to go back for some more adventure!
8. Take a trip to this stunning town surrounded by natural beauty.
Come summer Southport will get somewhat crowded, but you can almost have it all to yourself in spring. Read why it's so amazing
9. Venture to the edge of the earth, North Carolina style.
The Outer Banks Scenic Byway is home to ocean views on one side and sound views on the other. It's a drive that must be done at least ONCE. Come summer it might get fairly clogged with tourists but spring is the perfect time to still enjoy those offseason beach rental rates while also exploring this enchanting drive.
10. Take advantage of 'dollar days' at Grandfather Mountain.
Throughout April, Grandfather Mountain will be offering a $3 admission fee for residents of neighboring counties and also university students in the area. Know someone who lives here? If you're their guest you can also get in for a mere three bucks. Perfect for students at App or WCU or those who want to be tourists in their own neck of the woods.
11. Witness the mysterious shadow of the bear.
This one is ASAP as the shadow of the bear only appears twice a year for a short period over Whiteside Mountain. See it in action from Rhodes Big View Overlook off US 64.
12. Wake up to the sound of the ocean while camping on the beach.
Camping on the beach? That's a yes from me! Find your perfect spot to pitch tent at these
beachside camping spots.
13. See remote scenery by train.
Hop on board this spring for one of these amazing
offered throughout the state.
14. Visit this amazing cheese shop to see how it's made.
To be honest, I'd go for the cheese shop before the chocolate shop. What can I say? I love cheese. If you're like me you'll find a visit to
Ashe County Cheese
at the top of your bucket list.
15. Plan the perfect road trip.
From waterfalls, to BBQ, to ghost towns, to charming small towns, we have you covered with our
7 best road trips
(maps and itineraries included) to fill your spring weekends until summer!
Well, my spring is officially full. See y’all in summer! Which ones will you be visiting first, and are there any you’d add to the list?