North Carolina June 09, 2017
15 Weird Side Effects Everyone Experiences From Growing Up In North Carolina
Do you find yourself acting a certain way and you can’t explain why? Do you get especially defensive over the pronunciation of words and opinions on southern cuisine, and sometimes want to spiral into a fit of rage when the waitress says, “Sorry, we don’t have sweet tea”? Don’t worry, you and a million others have been diagnosed with what has been called “growing up in North Carolina.” Wondering if you fit the signs and symptoms? Read below.
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. You feel your stomach turn when someone says, "AppaLAYshun."
2. You might or might not have gone into rage while being stuck behind someone (usually with an out of state license plate, lets be honest) going 10 mph on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
3. From your first words you knew the proper pronunciation for places like Tuckasegee, Beaufort, Pfafftown, Chocowinity.
4. Not wearing shoes in the garden or around the outside of the house during summer is like...not that big of a deal and pretty normal.
5. You've found yourself just driving in the car with no actual destination; you just wanted to take a drive and explore the beautiful scenery.
6. When planning for college it seemed like you and your friends considered schools based on the type of North Carolinians you were. Beach bum? Obviously UNCW. Still wanna have fun? ECU. Mountain man? App State. Studious and REALLY into basketball...UNC or Duke. All around good North Carolinian, or maybe a future farmer? NC State.
7. If you live out of state, up north or out west, usually the first thing you do when you get back to North Carolina is eat a Bojangles biscuit
8. You don't trust "southern style" restaurants anywhere besides the south (and that goes for BBQ too).
9. As soon as that first flake of snow hits you somehow lose all knowledge of how to drive, act, or be a person.
10. While some might prefer swimming pools or pristine swimming holes you will literally jump into anything that looks safe enough to swim in (especially if there's a rope swing).
11. You say ain't, y'all, ma'am, sir, and yonder - and you cannot help it no matter how far you travel from home.
12. When you're not around a multitude of different, diverse people at any given moment, you feel kind of weird. North Carolinians are about as ever changing and as our landscape.
13. To be honest, you've become a little spoiled having BOTH amazing beaches and breathtaking mountains. Other landscapes are...cool?
14. Every Blue Ridge overlook in the fall, beach in the summer, and blooming scenery in the spring feels like you're seeing it for the first time...because North Carolina just has that weird magic to it.
15. Everywhere you go...you just can't help but brag about how amazing the Tar Heel state is.
How true! Which ones did you find most relatable? What would you add?
Speaking of being a North Carolinian, these are
fifteen awkward moment’s we’ve all endured.